PDA

View Full Version : Tons of Refrigeration

benncool
20-09-2004, 05:09 PM
There is another site about refrigeration and air conditioning that I read most every day. http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/ This site is visited by mostly tradesmen from the U.S and Canada.

I tried to get Chemi-Cool form Israel to check out this site but he was unable to get on to it. The reason, I believe, is that the owner of the site had firewalls up to prevent overseas posts. But the site recently got a new owner so maybe things will be different now.

There are certain terminlogies about air conditioning that you use in the UK, that I understand, but would not use over here.

On this site I never see reference to the British Thermal Unit (btu). Which I know you don't use in England. Maybe because it is British :) . The BTU is used all the time over here in the Air conditioning and refrigeration industry.

When sizing air conditioning equipment the capacity is always given in "Tons". 12,000 btu= 1 ton of refrigeration. Apparently from reading the posts on this site, capacities of air conditioning systems in Europe is given in kw.

We got into this discussion over on the N.American site and a poster offered this infromation which I though you might be interested :

1- Btu/h = .293 w
1- ton of refrigeration = 3.52 Kw or 3520 w.

Karl Hofmann
20-09-2004, 06:13 PM
No, they're still not letting me in, I guess that they must have heard about me :D

Latte
20-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Me Neither,

Damn, and i was looking forward to posting some sarcastic comments.

Regards

Fatboy

chemi-cool
20-09-2004, 08:34 PM
hello Bencool,

Its still the same: No can do.

He will have to move the site to another server and I doubt if he will.

This place is fine for me.......... so far ;)

I think I will stay here for now.

Its a shame, really cause we import from the USA quite a lot since the Euro revolution and it would be easier to find good sources "across the pond"

US products are 40% to 60% cheaper then European!!

Chemi :)

frank
20-09-2004, 09:06 PM
I followed the link and got on no problem :D

However, here is a quote from the "Boss" of the site
HVAC-Talk.com is a moderated site. Moderators will delete and edit posts in an effort to keep the site free of flame wars, insults, crude language, advertising and off-topic replies. Please be polite and helpful in your replies and feel free to seek help without fear of undue criticism.

Obviously - no place for Marc then :D :D (only joking Marc!)

Brian_UK
20-09-2004, 11:18 PM
1- Btu/h = .293 w
1- ton of refrigeration = 3.52 Kw or 3520 w.
Errr... that's right ;)

absrbrtek
20-09-2004, 11:36 PM
LOL!!! Marc the Brit was banned from their yrs ago. Hey ****** if you read this give me a call!! Long time since Ive heard from you. Every time I call you I get that dammed answering machine.
I followed the link and got on no problem :D

However, here is a quote from the "Boss" of the site

Obviously - no place for Marc then :D :D (only joking Marc!)

rbartlett
21-09-2004, 07:38 AM
i'm on there and have been posting no problem

oh and btw marc is not a brit -he's from zimbo...err....zabe...mmm...zizim...eemm..zam.....well he's from africa

cheers

richard

Gary
21-09-2004, 09:30 AM
They ban at the drop of a hat over there. I was banned years ago, too.

Brian_UK
21-09-2004, 11:21 PM
They ban at the drop of a hat over there. I was banned years ago, too.Well, if you know what you are talking about - what DO you expect ;) :D

Gary
22-09-2004, 01:25 AM
They objected to any mention of my books, to the extent that I couldn't say "Author" in my sig line. Sooner or later I was bound to cross that line... LOL

BTW, a ton of refrigeration refers to the amount of heat which must be added/removed in order to melt/freeze a ton of ice/water (288,000 BTU) in a 24 hour period, divided by 24 to determine the hourly rate (12,000 BTU/Hr).

In other words, if your ice box had a heat gain of 12,000 BTU/Hr, you would need 1 ton of ice delivered each day. Conversely, if you remove 12,000 BTU/Hr from water, you will make 1 ton of ice per day.

Abe
22-09-2004, 08:22 PM
We have very few idiotic posts here. hvactalk is a ****ing nightmare, people just post to see their own posts, nothing of technical interest or of any falue, in general, gets posted there.

Probably mine come under the " few idiotic" :)

Abe
22-09-2004, 08:26 PM
oh and btw marc is not a brit -he's from zimbo...err....zabe...mmm...zizim...eemm..zam.....well he's from africa

How about the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland.........

absrbrtek
22-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Ya gimme a call. I got a new gig as Service Manager for a large international refrigeration manufacturer, got close to 30 people working for me. Alot of supermarket work and some large warehouses. Its definitly a change from chillers, I enjoy it so far.

Karl Hofmann
23-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Mark,

Does a post have to be technical to be of value? I find many posts here that, although not technical in content are interesting enlightening and answer some questions that some (I) may feel too stupid to ask, but I do take your point about some posts

rbartlett
26-09-2004, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=Marc O'Brien]Lol, you lie, Craig, I was never banned from there :)

Firstly, the place is crawling with Shogun7 type minds which is actually quite sickening.

Secondly, I once posted a link to my software page explaining that a lesser version of my ahucalc was available in imperial. The post was deleted, I decided to leave, I can't tollerate iron curtain philosophy's.

that maybe have been hvactalk.com

he's taking about hvac-talk.com

cheers

richard

wen-sar
08-07-2007, 06:11 PM
the HVAC-TALK.com website is full of Racist remarks..
i went to their ARP section and found them referring to Mexicans as wetbacks and there are posts talking about blowing people up..

this is my first post here. i come in regularly and go into the hvac-talk site to the refrigeration sections only. the personal remarks of the hvac-talk website is just dangerous and does not inspire any humanity or regard for others.. i try to avoid their sponsors whenever possible.. i don't like giving money to sponsors of racism..

retrof
29-04-2009, 08:29 PM
the HVAC-TALK.com website is full of Racist remarks..
i went to their ARP section and found them referring to Mexicans as wetbacks and there are posts talking about blowing people up..

this is my first post here. i come in regularly and go into the hvac-talk site to the refrigeration sections only. the personal remarks of the hvac-talk website is just dangerous and does not inspire any humanity or regard for others.. i try to avoid their sponsors whenever possible.. i don't like giving money to sponsors of racism..

I realize this is a post from the past but Htalk site is much better than it was from years ago. Not perfect but better.

It's true that some IP sections are blocked making it difficult to post/join but this was only to stop the spam posts from those areas selling tennis shoes and iPhones even x-rated blog posts.

frank
29-04-2009, 09:34 PM
I realize this is a post from the past but Htalk site is much better than it was from years ago. Not perfect but better.

It's true that some IP sections are blocked making it difficult to post/join but this was only to stop the spam posts from those areas selling tennis shoes and iPhones even x-rated blog posts.
Something that is not needed on this site as any advertising/spam is jumped on and deleted pronto. :D

This makes the site much more enjoyable and SPAM free.

If you see SPAM on here......report it!!

retrof
29-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Something that is not needed on this site as any advertising/spam is jumped on and deleted pronto. :D

This makes the site much more enjoyable and SPAM free.

If you see SPAM on here......report it!!

Absolutely, Frank

I was just reading all about the negative comments for the other US site and was discouraged. Some here had mentioned they could not engage that site so I hung my neck out to answer since I am affiliated with the operations there.

Being my first day here I believe it is important for me to be honest about it but I'm a tech first and foremost and will treat this site and it's members with due respect and hopefully be a welcomed contributor.

Cheers