PDA

View Full Version : 1950's TWIN DOOR FRIGIDAIRE TYPE T15

buryan
19-08-2009, 09:30 PM
HELP, PLEASE! I have just bought this wonderful old fridge with belt driven compressor from a 1/4h.p. Delco motor complete with fan blades. The removal firm has bounced the working gubbins off its spring cradle and has de-gassed it. I have no idea what the original gas was - something nasty, I'm sure - ammonia and ?? Is there modern gas that can be used? I want to run it with the original equipment.

If anyone can help, would you very kindly e-mail me at:

rupertburyan@btinternet.com

whiteair
07-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Some of these old units ran on sulphur dioxide using a low side float type evap, don't go down that route. I went to a house once where a pipe had broken overnight, all the dogs were dead in the kitchen with their noses up against the bottom of the door, trying to get fresh air, not a pretty sight. It could happen to you while you are asleep! Sulphur Dioxide is a yellow gas/liquid and makes sulphuric acid on contact with air. Other early units also ran on methyl chloride, again nasty! I appreciate you want to run it as original, but for safetys sake take out the old workings and fit a modern condensing unit, no doubt it will be out of sight behind a front panel anyway.

old gas bottle
08-09-2009, 07:46 AM
i agree with that but just keep the old unit for origonality,other option you could consider is have it inspected by a good compident engineer to see if it was R12 refrigerant,if it was you could have it regassed and leak tested using a "drop in" refrigerant.post a pic will you as i would love to see it.;)