PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Capillary Tubes & gas noise

keepmecool
20-08-2009, 05:14 AM
What is the best method for cutting a cap tube? We cut at an angle so that the orifice does not close up as would happen if using a side-cutter (for example). Of course we use a sharp pipe cutting tool, but is this method the 'norm'? Why I am asking is that some refigerators (domestic) have been swapped out due to gas noise. Could this be causing it?
Michael

Tesla
20-08-2009, 05:56 AM
Yes htis could be causing the noise and sometimes happens in air ducts with high velocity and sharp bits inside. I used to use side cutters and debur with a knife then reem hole a little with welding gas tip cleaners and it worked well

nike123
20-08-2009, 07:31 AM
There are capillary cutting pliers on the market. I use Refco 14215
http://www.refco.ch/images/Produkte/14215.jpg

Even better is to use small triangle file and make grove at outside circumference of capillary at place where you want cut, and then it could be broken.

Also there is another tool to avoid capillary to be clogged:

Soldering of capillary tubes requires quite some precision, partly because overheating will quickly occur, and partly because the capillary tube is easily blocked.
When the capillary tube is mounted into the filter drier it can be put so far in that it pushes against the filter mesh. This may cause blockage, since the refrigerant can only pass a limited part of the filter mesh.
On the other hand the capillary tube may not be put far enough into the filter drier, thus risking it to be closed by solder. These problems can be avoided by using capillary tube pliers as shown in fig. 20.

keepmecool
20-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks all for the information on cutting cap tubes. I am interested in what are other (or the main) causes of gas noise?

keepmecool
21-08-2009, 05:58 AM
I am interested in finding out what are the main causes of the gas noises? I

Thanks
Michael

nike123
21-08-2009, 06:32 AM
I am interested in finding out what are the main causes of the gas noises? I

Thanks
Michael

High speed of gas, probably at some restriction or sharp turn or maybe capillary is short and small diameter.
Try to change to higher diameter capillary with adequate length.

US Iceman
21-08-2009, 02:56 PM
The method I learned in school was to use the square edge of a flat file. Score the cap tub and then snap it in half.

chemi-cool
21-08-2009, 06:59 PM
I make a small cut with my Leatherman, bend it once and snap it open. [very similar to US Iceman' file...]

chilled kiwi
18-11-2009, 04:04 AM
Cut as per Icemans method.Try putting a slight bend in the end of the cappilary, so that when you weld it into the evap pipe it is feeding the liquid along the wall of the pipe. This used to help on domestic fridges.

Tayters
28-11-2009, 11:47 PM
I find cabbage causes a lot of gas noise, usually followed by a distinct odour.

jpsmith1cm
28-11-2009, 11:53 PM
I was always taught to nick it with a knife and snap as others have said.

I know that there are specific tools for the purpose, but why spend the money when this method is so easy and I rarely lose my knife which is more than I can say for the other tools in my bag.

As far as the tool for locating a cap tube end within a drier, wouldn't a permanent marker do a similar job at a substantially reduced cost?

Insert tube until it stops, pull back a bit and make a mark. Pinch tube on the mark and solder away.

old gas bottle
30-11-2009, 04:25 PM
the traditional way is as iceman say,s, with a file.;)noisy systems ocurred a few years back when R134A was first used due to the bore and length being worked out wrong.also retrofit refrigerants can do it..:D