PDA

View Full Version : T/K RD-II won't switch over to

bigdan
18-08-2009, 09:48 PM
electric when it's plugged in at night. It may be an SR I can't remember. When we shut it down and plug it in and then start it from the keypad inside the truck we get an audible alarm and then the diesel starts. I was the "helper" on the job and since I'm the new guy I didn't want to dig into it after the mechanic gave up and just let it run on diesel. We did confirm line voltage at the contactor when it is plugged in.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

bigdan
20-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Nobody's gonna take a crack at this one??

bigdan
21-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Snowman??
Where'd you go?

cebunting
21-08-2009, 12:45 AM
no codes? ive never done elec. standby but i'll try to find the diagram

tspgr
21-08-2009, 09:10 AM
You dont give us any alarm numb.
if your unit its SR and it doesn't see the standby at all normally you have problem with the phase detection module that's located at the top right side of the pc board ....

DaButcher
23-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Snowman??
Where'd you go?

Till Snowman has a peek in here, try and get more info on exact model, codes if any, etc. to speed the process for diagnosis

djbe
23-08-2009, 10:27 PM
You dont give us any alarm numb.
if your unit its SR and it doesn't see the standby at all normally you have problem with the phase detection module that's located at the top right side of the pc board ....

Early ones mean a complete board replacement, later ones you can change just the module.

As an extra check, meter the phase wires into the module.

bigdan
23-08-2009, 10:44 PM
I'll get m/n & s/n on Monday.

Everytime I start to troubleshoot the unit they call me to fix something else.

What energizes the contactor that the "shorepower" feed is connected to? I couldn't find the coil on the schematic or any contactor coil leads on the contactor. There is only L1 L2 L3, T1 T2 T3, and two sets of auxillary contacts.
Is this supposed to pull in when it senses the shorepower is plugged in?

abbsnowman
24-08-2009, 01:54 AM
Hi Big D. I was on vacation.
Check your shore power at your contactor. The micro senses voltage there, (you will see wires in there that go to relay board). If no voltage is sensed, it defaults to diesel to protect load. There also may be a phase corrector in there. Thats so the unit can auto-correct the direction of the motor by using one of two contactors depending on required rotation. I have seen my fair share of units that have one contactor toast because it uses same cord every time. You can borrow the other one in emergency.
Hope thats not too much at once?
You should pm me at mark@futureclimates so I can maybe send you a present??? Hmmmm.....? lol

bigdan
25-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Can't find m/n & s/n plate. All the numbers I did find looked like part #'s on components.

abbsnowman
25-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Can't find m/n & s/n plate. All the numbers I did find looked like part #'s on components.

look down on the lower right by the reciever tank. By the pulley for the stand by motor.

bigdan
29-08-2009, 07:00 AM
And the winner is...............

failed phase detection moniter.:D

abbsnowman
29-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Booyaa! Way to go buddy!
Thank you for letting us know. I hate it when the mystery doesn't get solved.

absolute-zero
04-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I would have guessed a phase detection module if it were an SR model.

I believe I have posted a diagnostic chart on these modules somewhere in this transport forum for trouble shooting.

A-Z

absolute-zero
04-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Hi Big D. I was on vacation.
Check your shore power at your contactor. The micro senses voltage there, (you will see wires in there that go to relay board). If no voltage is sensed, it defaults to diesel to protect load. There also may be a phase corrector in there. Thats so the unit can auto-correct the direction of the motor by using one of two contactors depending on required rotation. I have seen my fair share of units that have one contactor toast because it uses same cord every time. You can borrow the other one in emergency.
Hope thats not too much at once?
You should pm me at mark@futureclimates so I can maybe send you a present??? Hmmmm.....? lol

Abbs,

Phase correction contacters are only found in TK truck units with open drive scroll compressors. TS200, TS300, TS500. and est.

Recips can run backward however the scroll cannot.

A-Z

Will
04-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Granted recips don't care, but fan blades do.

You sure they didn't use 'any' phase correction in non-scroll units ?

absolute-zero
04-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Granted recips don't care, but fan blades do.

You sure they didn't use 'any' phase correction in non-scroll units ?

Yep I am sure, If you have fans spinning the wrong direction you have to reverse any two of the three voltage leads to correct fan rotation.

This easily tested by by putting a shop rag up to the condenser, if it blows the rag away from the coil it wrong rotation, if it pulls the rag to the coil its correct rotation.

A-Z

Will
04-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Yep I am sure, If you have fans spinning the wrong direction you have to reverse any two of the three voltage leads to correct fan rotation.

This easily tested by by putting a shop rag up to the condenser, if it blows the rag away from the coil it wrong rotation, if it pulls the rag to the coil its correct rotation.

A-ZYes, I know that.

Let me reword my question, did TK have any 'phase correction devices' on road units with recips ?

absolute-zero
04-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Yes, I know that.

Let me reword my question, did TK have any 'phase correction devices' on road units with recips ?

Yes, Trailer units that were controlled with MP4+ and above.

A-Z

Will
04-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Phase correction contactors are only found in TK truck units with open drive scroll compressors.

Yes, Trailer units that were controlled with MP4+ and above.

I'm confused.

absolute-zero
04-10-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm confused.

Sorry Will,

KDII is a self powered truck unit with two cylinder recip compressor. KDII SR units with standby have an electronic phase detection module not a phase correction or selection module like you would typically see in a marine application unit. The differnce is one senses shore power while the other senses phase correction.

SR trailer units like SB with standby option have phase selection module for proper fan rotation much like marine application units.

Self powered Truck units like the KDII SR that is equipped with recip compressor does not have phase selection but doe have phase detection.

TS model truck units are equipped with open drive scroll compressors and compressor rotation remains critical so there for there is a phase detection module along with phase selectionm module.

I hope this helps with the confusion.

A-Z

abbsnowman
06-10-2009, 06:41 AM
Hang on, back up the bus here. The XDS, for sure has 2 contactors and they have one wire switched for phase correction.
If this is not true, I have been dreaming that we have a bunch of ice cream trucks that have one contactor wearing out because they use the same cord all the time. (Other contactor is perfect lol)
The 2 contactors are identical.
Hmmmm.......

absolute-zero
06-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Hang on, back up the bus here. The XDS, for sure has 2 contactors and they have one wire switched for phase correction.
If this is not true, I have been dreaming that we have a bunch of ice cream trucks that have one contactor wearing out because they use the same cord all the time. (Other contactor is perfect lol)
The 2 contactors are identical.
Hmmmm.......

Abbs,
Yes thats correct and thats because the unit is equipped with a open drive scroll compressor. The XDS model unit was in the same platform family of MDII, KDII, RDII, and TDII. The XDS model was not around very long before the next platform came out which was the TS series. The TS 500 basically replaced the XDS.

A-Z

abbsnowman
07-10-2009, 05:49 AM
AZ, thats why you make the big bucks. ;)