PDA

View Full Version : Home Generators

subzero*psia
31-05-2001, 12:34 PM
Has anybody heard more about FUEL CELLS for the home?

I contacted a distributor for General Electric regarding their Home Gen system (separates the hydrogen molecules from liquid propane or natural gas) but the unit is not ready yet apparently. I am anxious... I envision powerplants as we know them today will all but disappear. Home owners will become suppliers to the grid.

Now then.... it is an appliance, it uses gas.... WHO will receive the authority to service home generator systems... will service be required to be done by an electrician... or will it be through HVAC/R mechanic? If it is an appliance and gas operated, either could do it... but it will also mean that main power connections could be done by HVAC/R and wiring complete to any appliance within the home instead of having to call for an electrician under local codes.

This should level the playing field so to speak! Of course the commercial and industrial sectors would still require electricians for anything receiving power from the main grid. Any thoughts on this?

Brian_UK
01-06-2001, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by subzero*psia
Any thoughts on this?
Yes....H E L P :confused:

Derek
01-06-2001, 02:00 PM
Domestic/Commercial gas suppliers deal with reasonably low pressures and mostly single state fluid by the time the user see's it (I know what someone will say now).

Refrigeration engineers have most of the market in terms of high pressure phase change fluids. Hydrocarbons and Hydrogen among others have ASHRAE numbers so trained engineers have the most appropirate experience and technical reference for such systems.

Add to this that the levels of system integrity on gas supplies are almost at sieve levels compared to refrigeration systems and your local authority has only one sensible choice.

As for the power guys well I ask you does California look electricaly sorted?