PDA

View Full Version : My new employer

bigdan
14-08-2009, 07:18 PM
has several TK units with manuals but no troubleshooting tools. ( i.e computer)

I have 20 years commercial/industrial refrigeration experience but none on TK's.

Will I be able to service them without any TK software or analyzer??? He tells me that thermoking won't sell him the analyzer/software.

How difficult will my life be trying to service these trucks without any TK background or their analyzer?

abbsnowman
14-08-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm here to help ya buddy. What do you need?

bigdan
15-08-2009, 02:30 AM
Thanks snowman. I'll get some model #'s ASAP so we'll know what exactly we're dealing with.

He'll pay me more if I can keep em running. They're on milk trucks and he buys them used so they got some hours on them.

Half the trucks have TK's and they other half are cold plates with Copeland C/U's which are easy to maintain. Got around 30 trucks so we'll be talking alot probably.

I looked through some of the manuals in the shop and they were pretty vague.

I'm wondering if I could retrofit one of them to run without the electronics. Just put on some standard operating controls and do away with the proprietary TK stuff.
What do you think??

cebunting
15-08-2009, 03:09 PM
i love working on thermo kings, once you get a diagram on the wiring they are fairly simple, the wire numbers are all the same unit to unit, i have some diagrams if you let me know what models, in my experience, most of the problems are electrical not in the base refrigeration, if you are good with electrical you will get the hang of them

bigdan
15-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the tip bunting.

It sounds like if the unit shows a trouble/alarm code I could reference the manual and then wring out the circuit associated with it to find the problem.

BTW is the compressor diesel driven or is there a diesel generator in the unit that provides elec?

I think they're 200 series.

I'll have more info on Monday.

abbsnowman
16-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I would not rush into removing controlls but I'm sure I will have what you need.
Keep me posted.

cebunting
16-08-2009, 09:23 PM
yeah they are diesel driven, some have elec. standby also

bigdan
17-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Worked on an MD series today. Bad defrost relay. Switched out the whole switch assembly.

After truck reached setpoint I guess the compressor unloads and the engine just idles or is there a clutch that disengages? I was too busy (and hot) to check up top. I just noticed when I walked past that unit was running but not under load.

abbsnowman
18-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Depending on the model/age they will either shut off if set to Cycle century, or go into low speed and switch between heat and cool.

bigdan
18-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks snowman.

I'll start a new thread with specicific models and problems as they come up.

L8TR