PDA

View Full Version : Co2 as a refrigerant for air conditioning

nadam54321
12-08-2009, 02:14 PM
This is such a wonderful place to share ideas....
Am an Accessory Design Student and am interested in air conditioning designs...

So now
What if we use Co2 as a refrigerant for air conditioning...Not using it directly because of the evaporation temp of co2 and room temp doesnt match...So if we use co2 as primary refrigerant and use the cooling effect of co2 for chilling brine solution...
Till the next cycle begins, the cooled brine will act as a cooling agent...This way cant we reduce the initial set-up cost as well as global warming and so...(dont forget this works better when used in cascading co2-NH3 refrigeration system)...

This is the same as cascade refrigeration system..only that am using brine as a temporary coolant(just like RAM in computers)....

Will it be workable????
Any comments would be greatly appreciated....

Tesla
13-08-2009, 04:12 AM
Yes of course it would work. But personally I don't believe the is any factual evedince of global warming due to co2 emmissions - did I say co2 emmissions?

nadam54321
13-08-2009, 05:02 AM
Yes of course it would work.

First thanks a lot for responding....
So how to find the amount of co2 refrigerant needed in an air conditioning unit to get cooling effect for a given area and outside temperature and the inside room temperature cooling desired....

D.D.KORANNE
13-08-2009, 06:17 AM
USE OF CO2 AS A REFRIGERANT IN AIR-CONDITIONING HAS ALREADY BEEN IN USE IN SCANDINAVIAN COUNTRIES AND SUPERMARKET APPLICATIONS ARE ON INCREASE IN US & AUSTRALIA . THE NH3 & CO2 CASCADE IS ALREADY OFFERED BY COMPANIES .

IN AIR-CONDITIONING , THE SSP AT SAY 5 DEG C EVAP TEMP & 35 DEG C AS CONDENSING IS COMMON . THE MAIN ISSUE IS SAFETY SINCE THE CO2 HAS LOW CRITICAL TEMP . THIS RESULTS IN HIGH CONDENSING PRESSURE TO THE TUNE OF 120 BAR & 40 BAR AS SUCTION PRESSURE IN SUCH AN APPLICATIONS . COMPRESSORS TOO ARE AVAILABLE FOR AIR-CONDITIONING APPLICATIONS WITH CO2 AS REFRIGERANT .
IF YOU NEED FURTHER INFO SEND ME A PM ON : ddk0123@gmail.com

amitsaxena
13-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Dear Nadam,

First of all, i would appreciate that u in your age, is thinking towards Environmental cause.

Only Concern is that your AC can not work in Indian conditions as the discharge side pressure which makes usage of CO2 as refrigerant more difficult in Indian Conditions.

And overall efficency of your system after using Brine as your Secondary cooling medium.
But lets discuss more so that i can help you in best possible way.
Thanks
Amit Saxena

sparrow
13-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi amitsaxena'

I would search google for the dedicated R744 site they give lots of industry information almost daily. this would be the best place for your design queries and updates.

Regards

Sparrow