PDA

View Full Version : Future Wall Units?

Gary
10-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I can envision a future where the industry is dominated by low cost, self-contained, high efficiency, ultra quiet, through the wall A/C and/or heat pump units. Just slip them into the standardized opening in the wall and plug them in. If they break down, take them back to where you bought them and trade them in for a new or factory refurbished unit.

What do you think?

beagle
10-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Something like this has been available for a good few years, never took off, big, ugly and noisy. Anyone that's stayed in a PremierInn has probably had the 'pleasure'. Itallian manufactured though to be fair, maybe the Japanese will have a crack at it one day.

chillin out
10-08-2009, 08:50 PM
What about a system that has no interconnecting pipes between the indoor and outdoor units???

They could use the ever increasingly popular 'Blue-Tooth' system that we find on phones and PCs.

Chillin:):)

Gary
10-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Something like this has been available for a good few years, never took off, big, ugly and noisy. Anyone that's stayed in a PremierInn has probably had the 'pleasure'. Itallian manufactured though to be fair, maybe the Japanese will have a crack at it one day.

I'm thinking the Chinese may beat them to it... or maybe both... and a few more countries as well.

In any case, the ugly duckling of the past could be transformed into a beautiful swan in the future. It's doable. They don't have to be big, ugly, or noisy.

And whenever it becomes economical to stick inverters into wall units, it will happen. Then its a whole new ball game.

There is nothing a mini-split has that a wall unit couldn't have some day.

acnerd
10-08-2009, 09:33 PM
What about a system that has no interconnecting pipes between the indoor and outdoor units???

They could use the ever increasingly popular 'Blue-Tooth' system that we find on phones and PCs.

Chillin:):)

As long as you don't make your a/c unit discoverable by others, or else someone will swipe half of your cooling capacity!!!!!! :D

lowcool
11-08-2009, 01:52 AM
there would probably be a few disruptions at the patent office i reckon.probably better off leasing them out(always goes back to the manufacturer)then their might be some control in regards to the enviroment as long as you can keep out the political nazis.zig!

what id like to see is consistincy in pipe connections on domes,pots or cans whatever you like to call em.the only manufacturer i have seen that comes close to this is hermetique pity i havent seen a rotary from them for your application gary.

Gary
11-08-2009, 02:56 AM
Not my application. Just speculating about future trends.

As beagle pointed out, these units have been around for a very long time and they are big, ugly and noisy... but there is no reason they need to stay that way.

Leasing them out is another possibility.

lowcool
11-08-2009, 03:26 AM
i reckon theyd be cheap nasty pieces of snot with manufacturers cutting costs to compete,thats what happened to our ever reliable kelvy racs.havent seen an rac above 2 1/2 hp yet,dont reckon i would like to either given the size of coils etc.every instal would have to have free air around the condenser limiting application range including council boundaries especially with regard to high density housing areas.imagine builing codes changing door sizes to fit a 3 1/2 hp unit in unless it was made in weatherwall type design maybe.

given the usage of recycled grey water that is happening here right now it may be feasible to utilise water cooled condensing but at a cost to the consumer of course

Gary
11-08-2009, 05:59 AM
i reckon theyd be cheap nasty pieces of snot with manufacturers cutting costs to compete,thats what happened to our ever reliable kelvy racs.

That's pretty much true of everything.

havent seen an rac above 2 1/2 hp yet,dont reckon i would like to either given the size of coils etc.every instal would have to have free air around the condenser limiting application range including council boundaries especially with regard to high density housing areas.imagine builing codes changing door sizes to fit a 3 1/2 hp unit in unless it was made in weatherwall type design maybe.

I was thinking more in the other direction. Small units in each room, sized for the room... or multiple small units, each handling part of the room

lowcool
11-08-2009, 09:10 AM
dont now about over there but outdoor areas have greatly diminished and the indoors living area has greatly increased hence larger rac,if your prepared for the eyesore i dont see why not,council,neighbours etc may object to the noise even if ultra quiet and visual pollution

Brian_UK
11-08-2009, 11:33 PM
So instead of having a window rattler we will be having window purrers.

It could well go that way Gary, everything else seems to belong to the throw away society. ;)