PDA

View Full Version : Kiour controller problem ?

hamster
10-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Hi i have a MPS fridge with the Kiour REF DF controller.
Lately it keeps going to minus 6 deg C. If i give the front of the controller a good hardish tap it will return to normal function. But it keeps doing this quite often now.

Should I buy a new control unit ? or is there another way to fix this ?
If i buy a new controller is it a basic swap job. take old one out put new one in with the wires going in same position.

thanks.

lowcool
10-08-2009, 04:21 AM
i am not familiar with the fridge or controller.generally this comes about when the relay contacts for the compressor wear from arcing and have a habit of sticking together,generally because of not being rated to compressor(undersized contacts) or short cycling.if you locate the relay on the board thats suspect you may be able to replace it.apart from that fitting of new controller with a slave relay with balls to switch the compressor is the way to go.check board for dry joints and loose connections also.if buying a new controller get the same model and work it from their

1mikeefc1
10-08-2009, 08:13 AM
kiour controllers are well known for the relays to stick not very reliable in my experience.
i would replace it with an id chill controller personally

friging hell
10-08-2009, 08:40 AM
KIOUR Type REF-DF. Model REF-DF-SM. V2.0
Refrigeration temperature controller with dFrost. Type REF-DF. Range -19 - +99 °C/°F

General characteristics.

Electronic controller REF-DF is a compact unit for refrigerator’s control with dFrost control. It is provided with 3 relays, compressor (30 A),
water level control and ON-OFF relay. In the OFF state all relays are OFF and is displayed OF. Inputs: one PTC temperature sensor and one water
level control. Range: -19 °C - +99 °C/°F. Resolution one unit. Accuracy: 0,5 %. ±1 digit.

Managing the unit
df : By pressing df button continually for 5 sec, a dFrost cycle is forced.
:By pressing this button for 3 sec the state changes from OFF to ON or from ON to OFF. For 1 sec the setup °C or °F is displayed.

Managing the parameters
1) By pressing ↵ button the parameter SP (Set Point) and its value is displayed.
By pressing at the same time the ↵ button and the up or down arrow, the value is changed.
2) By pressing at the same time the up and down arrows and the SET button the menu of the parameters and the first
parameter SP is displayed.
By pressing the down arrow we can see the other parameters as they appear in the table below. By pressing SET the value
of the parameter is displayed and with the arrows the value can change.
By pressing ↵ button we confirm the new value and the name of the parameter is displayed.
By pressing SET we cancel the new value and the name of the parameter is displayed.
To exit the parameters, we press ↵ button.
Serial input. Via serial input the instrument is connected to the memory backup (key) or to a network.
1. Memory backup (key): With the key we can save the setup of the parameters. Actions: Connect the key to the instrument.
a. By pressing SET and the UP Button the instrument performs the connection to the key and the message Eo is displayed.
b. By pressing UP Button the instrument reads the parameters from the key. Messages: ro = read O.K. , rF = read Fail.

b. By pressing DOWN Button the instrument writes the parameters to the key. Messages: Yo = Write o.K. , YF = Write
Fail. The key can be connected to various types of instruments. If you try to read the parameters of a different instrument,
a message rF = read Fail is displayed.
At all instruments and at any time we can perform the write operation. After 10 sec, the key is disconnected automatically.
2. Connect to network: The instrument is connected to a network RS485 via an interface (modbus protocol). The computer controls the
communication, receives data from the instrument and reads/writes the parameters. The maximum distance between the instrument and the
computer is 1000 meters.

A/A PARAMETERS - DESCRIPTION
1 SP SET POINT temperature control room. Values: SL - SH.
2 SL Lower limit adjusting temperature SET POINT. Values: -18 - 25 °C.
3 SH Maximum limit adjusting temperature SET POINT. Values: 0 - 98 °C.
4 di Differential working temperature of compressor. Values: 1 - 8 °C.
5 Cr Minimum stop time of compressor. Values: 0 - 4 minutes.
6 Cf Compressor working mode with sensor malfunction. Values: 0 and 1.
Value 0 = 40% ON compressor. (3 minutes ΟΝ, 4 minutes OFF the compressor).
Value 1 = 100% On compressor. (ΟΝ continually the compressor).
7 dF Times of dFrost every 24 hours. Values: 0-12. 0= Not make dFrost.For example: Value =6. 24/6=4. Every 4 hours starts
dFrost.

8 dt Maximum duration of dFrost. Values 1 - 90 minutes.
9 dL Temperature limit of dFrost. Values: 1 - +20 °C. Above this temperature the dFrost stops and it is not possible to start the
procedure again manually.

10 do Type of dFrost. Electrical. Fixed. Compressor OFF.

11 dr Dripping Time. Value 0-10 minutes. Time OFF compressor after dFrost.

12 td Message dF is displayed from the beginning of the dFrost until time expires. Values: 0 - 99 minutes.

Value = 0, during dFrost the temperature of the room is displayed.

13 AJ Zero adjustment of sensor. Values: -9 - 10 °C.
14 ts Refresh delay of temperature indication at display. Values: 0 - 20 Sec.
15 FC 0 = °C. 1 = °F. ATTENTION. Changes between °C and °F do not effect the value of the parameters.(ex.SET POINT 10 °C is
10 °F )

16 Br Baud Rate. (9600)

17 tr time respond. The respond time of the instrument. Values in mSec. Default 20 mSec. Values 5 - 100 mSec.
18 Ad Address of instrument at the network operation. Values 1 - 255
Technical Specifications

—Power supply: 230 or 115 VAC. After request.
—Accuracy 0,5 % ±1 digit
—Connection. TAB 6,3 mm.
—Relay 250 VAC 30 A Resistive Load.
—Relay 250 VAC 5 A Resistive Load.
—Maximum power consumption: 3 Watt.
—Working temperature: -10 - 60 °C.
Storage temperature: -20 - +80.
—ATTENTION: It is necessary to prevent electrostatic discharges at the side ventilation openings.Also prevent insertion of pointed elements.

Connection diagrams - Dimensions. Other Characteristics.

Connection Diagram Front Panel Cut off Dimensions External Dimensions

1 2 3 4 6

N R

7 8 9 10 11

KIOUR

REFRIGERATOR CONTROLLER
Type REF-DF Model REF-DF-SM
Range -19 - +99 C

hamster
10-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi friging hell if i just replace the controller for a new one will i need all that information to set it ? Will it not be programmed from the factory ?

thanks

lowcool
10-08-2009, 01:56 PM
specs look pretty reasonable pity the thirty amps is rated at resistive loading,dont reckon ive come across one yet thats rated that high.

ah yeah hamster
yes you will
no it wont
anytime

ps;small hint - write down original parameter settings in controller to put in new controller later.
cheers buddy!

hamster
10-08-2009, 02:46 PM
What's this serial input thing ? Do you need some sort of device for this ? Seems like i would need a professional installation engineer.

lowcool
11-08-2009, 02:34 AM
ignore the serial input thingy.if you write down the original controller parameters,then go to the place to purchase your controller,they should be able to programme the controller for you.i still advise a slave relay rated to correct conditions ie.inductive load,be fitted if you dont want this problem to recur.out of curiosity how long have you had this controller or fridge?

hamster
11-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I've had this fridge for 4/5 years. It first had this problem about a year ago and i just tapped it and that got it working but has this problem every now and then. I need to give it a fair good hit now to get it working properly now. If i hit it hard enough the condensor will stop running and stop freezing everything.

I contacted MPS which is the brand of my fridge and they sell the controller for about 97 quid. and they say i dont need to programme it. should be easy enough to swap over. I will have to order one.

sorry i dont have any clue about that slave relay, my electrical knowledge is very limited.

lowcool
12-08-2009, 04:30 AM
I've had this fridge for 4/5 years.

sorry i dont have any clue about that slave relay, my electrical knowledge is very limited.

maybe buy two controllers as they wont be any cheaper in eight to ten years let alone availability

the controller output for the condensing unit is utilised to power another relay(say 20 amps inductive load)incorporating a neutral.the condensing unit power is then fed from the relay contacts when power is applied from seperate source other than controller output.

ie active from controller powers relay solenoid coil but needs a neutral.
when energised it switches the relay contacts
power is applied from a permanent source other than controller output,the contacts are closed and power is applied to both terminals the later being the original wire from the output of the controller.
best get a fridgy in to do his as controller output maybe switching neutrals instead of actives.

KIOUR
24-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Hello

I have checked your problems with the relay. Because of voltage drops, more amperes from nominal current seep through the relay contact and melt it. The new version, REF-DF-SM has a stonger relay, 30A. You will not have any problems with this one. For further information please contact me at info@kiour.com.

Best regards,
Ino Kiourtsidou

KIOUR

KIOUR
24-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Hello

I have checked your problems with the relay. Because of voltage drops more amperes from nominal current seep through the relay contact and melt it. The newer version REF-DF-SM has a stonger relay, 30A. You will not have any problems with this one. For further information please contact me at info@kiour.com.

Regards,
Ino Kiourtsidou

KIOUR

tony randall
24-09-2009, 11:07 PM
I would buy an Eliwell ID961 a probe and 12v tranny and fit these.
Full program in box easy to install, off cycle programable defrost, works fine on these units MPS same as Blizzard from Pentlands

lowcool
25-09-2009, 04:04 AM
gday tony
im in preference to 240 volt controllers being cheaper and easier to install.dixell comes to mind and have similar parameter descriptions to elliwell.cheers

aussie fridgy
24-08-2010, 08:43 AM
gday tony
im in preference to 240 volt controllers being cheaper and easier to install.dixell comes to mind and have similar parameter descriptions to elliwell.cheers
which dixell??? to replace the kiour ref-df-sm>>>>

Benschop1
29-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Common problem with the kiour controller. Google MPS Wholesale and order same controller from Mark. Quite expensive, but will normally come pre programmed with all parameters. Many universal controllers will do the triack but if yours has the water level sensor for the evaporative tray and a fan door switch, this is the easiest solution.

T

Benschop1
29-12-2010, 03:25 PM
If you want a 240v controller try the Elae AT2 about £30.00 from Hawco refrigeration.