PDA

View Full Version : PHE's problem

Abu 3ali
09-08-2009, 09:21 AM
would like to address this problem and hear from you how to solve it:

PHEs used in HVAC system, the contractor started up the system with out flushing it and the PHEs got filled with mud and sand as far as they say.

what could have happenned to the PHE ?? could the plates got damadged ??

if the plates are OK, can the PHE get cleaned and reused again??

yes, what would be the best way to wash the plates and the gaskets ?? (Jet water, .... etc)

i appreciate your help

thank you

RANGER1
09-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Doubt plates are damaged , so as you have said pull it apart and clean it .

Avoid getting any water in refrigerant channels or obvious other problems will occur .

If its sand or mud it will just wash off anyway .

You could try a reverse flush if it is possible .

If its new all gaskets should be ok , then pressure test .

Abu 3ali
09-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Thank you for your quick reply, i just want to emphesize that it is water to water Plate heat exchanger

Abu 3ali
09-08-2009, 10:29 AM
what would be the best way to wash the plates and the gaskets ?? (Jet water, .... etc)

RANGER1
09-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Usually low pressure water would clean it in your case using a brush if necassary .

Abu 3ali
09-08-2009, 12:33 PM
If we want to avoid opening the PHEs, can we open the upper and lower flenge and clean the PHE by 3-4 bar pressurized water ??

would it clean the sand and mud ?

lowcool
09-08-2009, 01:19 PM
if all else fails read the instructions !

Sandro Baptista
09-08-2009, 06:23 PM
If we want to avoid opening the PHEs, can we open the upper and lower flenge and clean the PHE by 3-4 bar pressurized water ??

would it clean the sand and mud ?

Why don't you use the CIP (Clean in Place)?. This is the process named by the ALFA LAVAL. They use chemistry cleaning products such as ALFAPHOS, ALFANEUTRA, etc...

The time-consuming work of opening plate heat exchangers can thus often be avoided by using an Alfa Laval Cleaning in Place (CIP) unit.

Regards and hope this help.

Gary
09-08-2009, 06:27 PM
If its just sand and mud then a simple reverse flushing should do the trick. Chemicals are not needed.

Lowrider
09-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Using the Alfa Laval Tecnik is quite good. Sand can fill the space between the plates, because the space between two plates is quite narrow.

If it's an new install the guys who did thr install are responsible for cleaning it and all costs involved!

chemi-cool
09-08-2009, 07:02 PM
I have agree with those who said revers flushing, its the best way without taking it apart.

Why there was no filter before the PHE in the firs place??

Its a must when you use PHE with such a small water passage. about 80 mesh is the right filter.

Lowrider
09-08-2009, 08:44 PM
If one checks the manual of the manufacturers of chillers or PHE's they all specify the use of a filter!

Brian_UK
09-08-2009, 11:37 PM
I would suggest that these PHE were left out in the sand with the tube covers off before being fitted.

That is why Abu 3ali has this problem.

Magoo
10-08-2009, 05:44 AM
I can only add that plate heat exchangers are the biggest con since pantyhose, difficult to work with, close tolerance , no margn for error and lot of greif.
magoo

Abu 3ali
10-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Guys thank you for your very helpful replys. i really appreciated it.

Abu 3ali
10-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Using the Alfa Laval Tecnik is quite good. Sand can fill the space between the plates, because the space between two plates is quite narrow.

If it's an new install the guys who did thr install are responsible for cleaning it and all costs involved!

yes they are newly installed.

Abu 3ali
10-08-2009, 08:02 AM
I would suggest that these PHE were left out in the sand with the tube covers off before being fitted.

That is why Abu 3ali has this problem.

I agree with you. or they forgot to do the most important step before starting up the system which is disconnecting the piplines and flush the system then start it up

Abu 3ali
10-08-2009, 08:03 AM
I totally agree with the reverse flushing

Sandro Baptista
10-08-2009, 01:53 PM
If it's only sand that is stock between the plates I also agree with the reverse flushing.

lowcool
11-08-2009, 02:10 AM
would it be possible to invert unit when reverse flushing to make sand drop and loosen?