PDA

View Full Version : How do they get away with it?

Clk320_Greg
05-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Weve recently gone into a large hotel that had previously been maintained by a large national firm lets call them "plus-male sexual organ" (going by what im about to say there engineers wont work that out!).

Heres a few examples of the stunts these guys have pulled:

Removed Air on sensors in water cooled fan coils, the hotel wondered why they had so many call outs at around the time that the unitds would be asked to go from heating to cooling and vice versa (out of 100 units, 20 had the sensors completely removed or stolen you might say... and another 40 or so just had them disconnected)

They had also managed to convince the kitchen that they were well over due a new freezer room set up - The system there is spot on!

On part of the hotel the rooms are run off a VRV, where the fan coils are forced off a few hours after the rooms are unocupied, they had disconnected all this system meaning the VRV system was running 100% of the time, unless turned off by the room occuipant! - over 5 years can you imagen the elec costs of 4 systems each with 16 odd fan coils?

Really boils my blood that there are firms like this doing such work and yet still able to demand the top rates for there work. I look forward to the day they are recognised as the scum they truely are!

Oh - and the staff hadnt even heard off gas logs....

Rant over.... i feel a little better.. thanks! LOL

superswill
05-08-2009, 11:51 PM
the sad thing is there are many of them out there,lets hope F gas is a start of tightening up our industry that these firms de-value

chiller man
06-08-2009, 10:17 PM
the sad thing is there are many of them out there,lets hope F gas is a start of tightening up our industry that these firms de-value
These lads are a tipical example of, teach yourself refrigeration in 6 weeks. They dont have a clue, and never will have. As soon as they find out they have entered into an ART rather than a trade they give up, most of em get cobbled sooner or later. it just make our job a bit frustrating. Your comments prove that you have the right approch so dont let these knobs bother you to much. Remember, there are engineers and ENGINEERS

Clk320_Greg
06-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Its not the first time ive had this with this crowd. Im wondering if i could mould this into some sort of carefully planned ad campane. would love to put there local office under!

sedgy
07-08-2009, 12:05 AM
name + shame, thats the only thing you can do

Magoo
07-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Word of mouth is the best advertising you can employ. Get along side the Hotel management and explain there situation. Won't take long, as they all talk to each other about service providers and costs.
magoo

multisync
07-08-2009, 06:46 AM
name + shame, thats the only thing you can do

No we can't do that here of course but on the topic of un or semi skilled labour 'out there' I remember meeting a couple of guy's on a course last year from up Anglia way. I believe they were from a company called

A
D
C
O
C
K.
S.
Both nice guy's, one was an ex scaffolder as I recall....

jonjon
14-08-2009, 09:56 PM
ive been on the sh*t end of there work had numerous problems on vrvs they "fixed". the company i work for has got them coming to do a service on 30 vrv's so i think i'm going to be busy till christmas fixing there mistakes :(

Clk320_Greg
14-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Word of mouth is the best advertising you can employ. Get along side the Hotel management and explain there situation. Won't take long, as they all talk to each other about service providers and costs.
magoo

Yeah its working out well. Problem is the cost of the repairs is almost that of the service contract its self. Im genuinely worried that they are going to get such a shock from the bill they might think they were better off before. Wever got the hotel manager behind us, and weve got the hotel maintenance behind us, and all the managers of the different departments think the sun shines out of our arses.

But aat the end of the day the guy who signs the cheques sits in an office far far away.

Still, at the end of the day weve gona in, weve done a bloody good job, weve repaired some horrendous mistakes. Therefor we can hold out heads high.

Does anyone want 100 freshly pealed off asset stickers from previous company? Was thinking i might chop there asset number off and post them back, so they know they lost the work, but dont know which site it was :D

Clk320_Greg
14-08-2009, 10:31 PM
ive been on the sh*t end of there work had numerous problems on vrvs they "fixed". the company i work for has got them coming to do a service on 30 vrv's so i think i'm going to be busy till christmas fixing there mistakes :(

The company you work for gets them in? Why not get someone else in?

Without wanting to sound like im touting - there are plenty of caperable and willing firms out there who would take the work on.;)

beagle
15-08-2009, 10:01 AM
I honestly hoped this recession would weed a lot of this sort of **** out, it has to some degree but larger companies like the one hinted above seem to be largely unaffected which is extremely annoying. You'd think that with money being tight for everyone the end users would be placing an emphasis not only on the total sum, but also on the actual service levels they're receiving for the money they spend. If they're paying ridiculous rates AND getting crap service they've only themselves to blame.

Clk320_Greg
15-08-2009, 10:43 AM
I have long beleived that there is mileage in the idea of forming a national network of independant firms who all work to the same guidelines and standardsand share a willingness to work together to take on these national "pirates". Very similar to what the airlines do with there aliances.

multisync
15-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I have long beleived that there is mileage in the idea of forming a national network of independant firms who all work to the same guidelines and standardsand share a willingness to work together to take on these national "pirates". Very similar to what the airlines do with there aliances.

http://www.arc-uk.org.uk/

jonjon
15-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Without wanting to sound like im touting - there are plenty of caperable and willing firms out there who would take the work on.;)

Well the firm i work for had a raf engineer doing ppms so they subbed all the repairs and stuff out to ad****s ,but since ive started there 5 weeks ago ive uncoverd loads of bad repairs. I spoke to my boss and they charge my company a fortune to come and bodge up there site, so im going to suggest somebody else any suggestions?

jdunc2301
15-08-2009, 08:17 PM
SNAP!!!

we took over a council building for the service and maintenance after they did a large install of VRV and a AHU. I found.....

2x VRV systems running all the while, no time controll set up as requested by customer.
All ducted units installed in a manner so that i can't remove the filter for cleaning, apparently they never had a problem getting it out :mad:
Rather than fitting supply air ducts to the cassettes they fitted extract , this meant most cassettes had little affect on the rooms.

Air handling unit had no timer control, no safety air pressure switches, no thermal trip on the heater battery, heat recovery air dampers disconnected.

I took a look at the commisioning/hand over sheet, surprise surprise all was working ......

Bunch of tossers i really do think me and most of us on here are of a different breed of engineer and are worth 10 of them....

rant over im going cinema:p

Brian_UK
15-08-2009, 11:06 PM

Without wanting to sound like im touting - there are plenty of caperable and willing firms out there who would take the work on.;)Problem with the company that Jonjon and I work for is that it takes forever to change a supplier.

Considering that they recently got rid of 20000+ preferred suppliers you'd think that they could have got rid of the crap ones and not the ones we need. [end rant]