PDA

View Full Version : Run capacitor problem

napa
05-08-2009, 03:53 AM
I am replacing a hermetic compressor on a 1 ton heat pump. The existing run capacitor has a terminal for the compressor, a terminal for the fan and a common terminal. I have been given a 2 terminal run capacitor and been told to make it work ! How do I do this ? Is the common just a terminal block or is it wired to the capacitor internally ?

p_p
05-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Is it a psc, permanant split capacitor, no relay?

PP

monkey spanners
05-08-2009, 07:13 PM
I think some of these original capacitors are in fact two capacitors in one can, one for comp one for fan. Should say on it. Will have two uf ratings on it.

Can't see why you shouldn't leave the fan and common as is and fit the new capacitor to the new compressor, you will need to pick a common for the new capacitor from somewhere too, maybe existing capacitors common terminal.

I always like to run up new motors with the amp probe connected, that way if i have messed up somewhere i can catch it before any damage is done.

chemi-cool
05-08-2009, 07:51 PM
I think some of these original capacitors are in fact two capacitors in one can, one for comp one for fan. Should say on it. Will have two uf ratings on it

Very true!

In case of any doubt, replace it with two new capacitors.
It will not be smart to loose a compressor because of a capacitor.....

Frikkie
05-08-2009, 08:36 PM
If you are replacing a compressor I agree you should also fit ALL the electrical devices that come with it unless they may not garantee it. I would check with the suppliers of the new compresser for wiring details if you in doubt.

napa
06-08-2009, 09:54 PM
The old capacitor is a dual run capacitor. I just don"t understand the use of the common terminal. The new capacitor is a dual but without a common. So the common is not wired internally of capacitor? I can use the common terminal of the old capacitor for the new comp. run capacitor ?

monkey spanners
07-08-2009, 06:48 AM
If the new capacitor only has two terminals then it is a single capacitor.

Jon

absoair
04-09-2009, 08:24 PM
The old capacitor is a dual run capacitor. I just don"t understand the use of the common terminal. The new capacitor is a dual but without a common. So the common is not wired internally of capacitor? I can use the common terminal of the old capacitor for the new comp. run capacitor ?

Does the new cap have herm and fan engraved on it?