PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions! Low Temp System

nuckleball5
04-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi all! I am not a refrigeration guy, I am a food product producer. I am working on a new project and will be getting a pro to build my system, but would like to have a better idea of what I am asking for. The system needs the following:

1. A fiberglass well with dimensions of 25"L x 21"W x 13"D.

2. The well will be filled with a 50/50 mix of Propylene Glycol and water. Which needs to be chilled to -27C. Stainless steel molds will be submersed in the glycol to freeze the food product.

What I am envisioning is a system where by a coil of piping runs through the bottom of the well, directly cooling the glycol. Other than that I don't know what kind of system will be required to get the temp of the glycol down to the necessary -27C.

Any and all thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance!!

Peter_1
05-08-2009, 07:41 AM
The dimension of the coil will be determined by the load you will insert in the glycol.
I don't think a bottom coil will be enough and you will need some agitator or pump in it, otherwise , you will see temperature stratification.

Can you submerge food i glycol :eek: ?

Why -27°C? The lower you go, the less performance your cooling system will have. 1°C difference saves you +/- 2% electrical power.

The system you ask is like a beer cooler with a coil around the bin

Tesla
06-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Hi Nuckleball5
Welcome to the forum. You could look at the old cocacola postmix machine and modifying or redesigning it to work at that temp. It's about the same size (maybe alittle smaller). or use a lo temp glycol chiller setup with holdover tank and reject the heat outside of process area. Then maybe one of those centrifuge machines used in labs. We can pump (so I hear) glycol down to minus 40degC.

nuckleball5
06-08-2009, 02:43 PM
The dimension of the coil will be determined by the load you will insert in the glycol.
I don't think a bottom coil will be enough and you will need some agitator or pump in it, otherwise , you will see temperature stratification.

Can you submerge food i glycol :eek: ?

Why -27°C? The lower you go, the less performance your cooling system will have. 1°C difference saves you +/- 2% electrical power.

The system you ask is like a beer cooler with a coil around the bin
The set up will have an agitator for the stratification as well as the fact that we're using a 50/50 water to glycol mix. We're actually submersing molds in the glycol, so the food product does not come in contact. and the need for the -27C is because we're looking for a very fast freeze, there by creating small water crystals and a very creamy texture when you eat it.