PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia makes Drugs in America

frank
31-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Has anyone read the artical in AC&R September Issue concerning the theft of ammonia.

It seems that refrigerants are being stolen and used in the production of methamphetamines - some kids have been found dead in a swimming pool in California after sniffing *****. :eek:

What is the world coming to :confused:

megaton
01-09-2004, 05:02 AM
I work for a large refrigerated warehouse company based in the southeastern United States. One of our foremost security concerns is ammonia theft, there have been large refrigerant releases (not our company, thankfully) due to thieves attempting to steal ammonia for the manufacture of methamphetamine (almost every time the thief is apprehended at the local emergency room suffering from chemical and/or temperature burns and ammonia inahlation). Some of the larger plants in our warehouse system have a refrigerant inventory of better than 40,000 lbs. and have the potential for a VERY large scale evacuation at best, and a small body count at worst.

chemi-cool
01-09-2004, 11:51 AM
In my country from some stupid reason, school kids are falling off roofs after having a god sniff of R-22.

I don't know where those idiots got the Idea that you can get high on *****.
What happens is that they faint and fall down. some have already died.

Thats life I suppose and there will always be that idiot who will risk his life fore a free good sniff that will leave him crippled for life or dead.

Chemi

frank
01-09-2004, 07:24 PM
For those not able to read the article I thought I would post it

If you thought that refrigerants were getting expensive, spare a thought for our American collegues where they appear to becoming inextricably linked with the drugs trade.
Having recently reported cases of hijacking and theft of anhydrous ammonia tankers, it would appear that companies whothe refrigerant are are getting more security concious and, as a result, thieves are getting more desperate.
Anhydrous ammonia is used in the what is oddly called the "Nazi" method of making making methamphetetamine - but other refrigerants are said to be suitable.

Local paper The Oak Ridger in Lake City, Tennessee, reported on the loss of a refrigerant charge from an air conditioning unit in a local school. Apparantly, someone had syphoned an unspecified refrigerant from the unit to a portable container. Drug makers are suspected and similar crimes are thought to have been committed but not reported.

According to the local Sheriff several major suppliers of ammonia are currently in custody or have been charged with a crime, so the gas has become less available for drug makers.

Meanwhile, some are using or, more accurately, abusing refrigerants directly. Two youngsters found drowned in a swimming pool in California, recently, were believed to have been inhaling *****, a new way of getting high in America.

Another little snippet

Air conditioning is being blamed for sporting injuries. US baseball star Jose Parra of New York Mets was recently placed on the injury list after going down with "a very sore hip."

The player himself summised that it may have been caused by the air conditioner at his home being set too cold. Go figure that one!

Is it just America?

Gary
02-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Actually, sniffing ***** has been around for a long time. There was a song about it:

Jumpin Jack Flash... Its a gas gas gas...

benncool
02-09-2004, 05:54 PM
I got dizzy being accidentaly overcome with CFC refrigerants. It is hard to imagine that some one whould do it on purpose.

Andy
02-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Hi :)
R22 gives me a blinding headache, WHY WOULD ANYBODY WANT TO SNIFF IT :mad: :mad:
I once nearly passed out entering a warm plantroom with R22 in it. :( as an apprentice, the engineer didn't believe me that there was even a leak until he tried it with his leak lamp.

Bad stuff *****, me I will stick to good safe NH3, that warns you in good time, before doing you any harm. :D :D

Kind Regards. Andy.

rbartlett
02-09-2004, 07:58 PM
as you say it's not that good as a high -just leaves you a tad giddy

i much prefer the glue for osma plastic pipe -which is rather nice for a quick fix mid install..

cheers

richard

Peter_1
02-09-2004, 08:54 PM
I bet they can add very easy an additive to any refrigerant so that it can be smelled very well. They can add it to propane or butane.
You then have each time your leack-searcher with you: your nose.
But of course, for the industry it's better that it leaks, the more the better.