PDA

View Full Version : will this effect us?

rbartlett
30-08-2004, 04:29 PM
hi guy's

was in the local CEF and picked up a leaflet

http://www.napit.org.uk/
http://www.napit.org.uk/PDF/What%20Part%20P%20means%20to%20you.pdf

looks like those doing work in 'dwellings' will have to stump up for this 'training'

what do you think??

cheers

richard

Karl Hofmann
30-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Looks like it could be the beginnings of a CORGI for sparkies, last I heard was that no one without their 16th edition regs would be able to charge for electrical work. There are changes for gas fitters too supposedly to filter out fake CORGI gas men. I see more and more examples of DIY gas work as time goes by, seems to coincide with tighter regulations....Hmm

chillyhamster
30-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Not so much the training, if you are carrying out electrical installations you should be JIB and current on 16th ed. This only applies to cowboys and homeowners that are not covered by JIB and 16th ed. who have to get the proposed works vetted by the building control officer, More work for the council overseers. :eek:

frank
07-09-2004, 08:30 PM
I must have missed this earlier thread, but being qualified to the current 16th edition, Im all for getting the quality of electrical installations up to a higher level.

Looking at some of the installations I've seen there is a lot of room for improvement :eek:

How many of us test our work for compliance? Do you know how to test? Do you own or carry the correct test equipment?

Brian_UK
07-09-2004, 10:36 PM
How many of us test our work for compliance? Do you know how to test? Do you own or carry the correct test equipment?Without knocking any of you sparkies, I am not one, it looks on first glance as though NAPIT have got themselves a nice little earner at 300GBP p.a. to record your details.

electricstuff
07-09-2004, 11:02 PM
There has been quite a lot of discussion of this on the UK.DIY NG.
Basically, the consensus is that it's an attempt by the govt to make it harder for electricians to work on the black market. Nothing to do with safety - the arguments they put forward were utterly bogus, saying that xx people per year were killed in domestic electrical incidents, but failing to notice that almost all were due to appliances, not fixed wiring.
In practice I think that it will be largely ignored by DIYers and many others. Those who are a littlel more clued up will be buying a stash of old-colour cable so they can claim work was done before they came into force.
The change of colour codes is simply insane, and utterly unnecessary.

As regards domestic aircon, I think installing a spur is one of the things you are allowed to do under 'permitted work', and if all else failse you could put a 13A plug on it....
Of course this means that there is a strong incentive to do things the way the 'permitted work' rules allow, rather than the best/proper way (seperate circuit), as the latter would involve significant time/cost/hassle of going through the hoops.

..and of course 'competent person' means a member of the appropriate trade body, not someone who knmows what they're doing.

rbartlett
29-10-2004, 08:25 PM
just bringing this back up

although ES suggested a/c is excempt because of fitting an additional spur is. this doesn't mention interconnect (could this be considered a 'new circuit'?) or that 'heating' is covered in any form.. therefore as most a/c's are HP's this should include our works?
or should it??

any comments??

cheers

richard