PDA

View Full Version : Compressing refrigerant using thermal/heat energy

nadam54321
31-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Am a product design student.....I have been interested in designing cooling solutions like refrigeration or air-conditioning....After searching quite a lot, i found this site...seems very helpful in improving one's knowledge...

I noticed one interesting thing in the present refrigeration systems...which uses mechanical compresser for refrigerant compression...Looking at the efficiency of the compresser which converts electrical to mechanical energy...seems like so much of wastage in converting it to useful energy by losing it in the form of heat energy...

So what if we use heat energy for compressing the refrigerant....In mechanical compressing systems, we are keeping temperature as constant and we are controlling volume to achieve the desired pressures...

In the second case, cant we achieve desired pressure by giving heat energy keeping volume constant!!!???....In this anyways, while condensing, the extra heat has to be rejected...so if we can collect this rejected heat and use for some other purpose thereby getting chance of using the valuable resources more effectively....

And what i have one more doubt is that, if we use Co2 as refrigerant which demands high pressures, (indirectly it means less amount is enough for the required space cooling when compared to other refrigerants)...so take that amount of co2 and heat it in a confined container till it reaches the required pressure and then condense, expand and evaporate as same as in the present day refrigeration...

Any help would be greatly appreciated in advance....