PDA

View Full Version : Scary Day gave me a good kick up the arse!

jdunc2301
31-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Hey everyone just thought i would share todays incident with you all :eek:

I was working up on a mezzanine floor 1 floor up, with a steel frame around the ladder acess to stop you from falling down, the plant room is quite dark aswell so didnt help. Anyway i was pulling a full cylinder of 407 up on a rope and to brace myself i had one foot on the concrete floor and one foot on the steel frame, when the bottle got about half way up my foot on the steel frame slipped, i went crashing on to my arse, dropped the cylinder!

So my left leg dangling down the ladder, my arse JUST on the concrete mezz floor by about 2 inches, my right foot which had slipped from the steel frame was now trapped between a boiler pipe and the steel frame! Luckily my fat arse hit the floor, i can guarantee if i had missed the floor and gone down through the ladder acess i would have broken my leg.

All is well but i just got a good shock from it and it tought me a lesson to be a little bit more aware, guess i got a little complacent seeing as its friday :mad:

Good weekend all!!

desA
31-07-2009, 03:55 PM
TGIF... glad your 'fat arse' is ok... :)

jdunc2301
31-07-2009, 04:19 PM
knew mc donalds breakfasts would save me one day :)

Grizzly
31-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for sharing!
To be told about a near Miss is as valuable as being told how to do something.
I should imagine a high proportion of the guys that read this have experienced something similar!
nice one Grizzly

coolhibby1875
02-08-2009, 10:30 AM
hi all last week i was running cat 5 cable on top off a run of dairys which i thought backed strait up against a run off full glass door freezers in a tesco store, But failed to notice that it didnt and there was 2 ft between bridged by a thin sheet of aluminum, which was only held in place by that foil tape (no screws).
on walking backwards steped onto said strip of thin aluminum and disappeared between dairy run and full glass doors thankfully the installers had run thier pipework half way down to break my fall what makes it worse the store was trading and full of people i dont think i have been so embarest before in my life but i suppose that took my mind of the pain in my knackers which was crushed by some 2 1/8th suction pipe.lol.

Grizzly
02-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi coolhibby.
And I assume no amount of risk assessments would of stopped that 1.
Sweet, I've heard of walking on thin Ice but!
Yours is quite scary, were you lone man working?
Or was someone there to help?
Cheers Grizzly.

coolhibby1875
02-08-2009, 07:56 PM
hi grizzly
no i was working with 1 of my workmates which makes it worse as the whole team were lauging about it within 20 mins.
your right about risk assesment though as had i stood back for 5 mins surveyed the job correctly it would have been avoided. although it does look like the cases back onto 1 another so after a bit time it looks impossible to fall.

Grizzly
03-08-2009, 06:07 PM
hi grizzly
no i was working with 1 of my workmates which makes it worse as the whole team were lauging about it within 20 mins.
your right about risk assesment though as had i stood back for 5 mins surveyed the job correctly it would have been avoided. although it does look like the cases back onto 1 another so after a bit time it looks impossible to fall.

I call it a point of work risk assessment,
Basically as you suggest spend 5 Min's looking to see if anything is different from the normal!
That may be an issue, if not the generic numbers we have issued are placed in the relevant box,
on our worksheets.
A pain sometimes but it does keep the pen-pushers happy!
More importantly whenever it goes wrong and we know it does.
I HAVE BEEN SEEN TO PLAY MY PART!
I don't blame your colleagues for laughing, assuming the checked you were OK first?
Historically I had a serious incident and if I had not observed all the correct procedures beforehand.
The company that was liable would of walked the other way and quickly!
Cheers Grizzly

Colin G
04-08-2009, 05:50 PM
The worst near miss i had, or you could say it wasnt a near miss was in a sainsburys store, they have them big rectangular metal ceiling tiles that push up into a grid (tap it and it falls out), i took my hard hat off went to look up to ask the electrician to move his sissor lift back a bit when the guy pulled on an armour and sent one of them tiles flying down, it must have fell about 10ft before it hit me on the head, was the corner of the tile that has the bit cut that smacked me, next thing i know my head is spurting like some wild ****tail fountain and a stream of blood flowing down my hivis vest.

Also on the same job i got hit in the head by a plumber that was jumping about the top of a tank and dropped his 1 1/8 cutters which also landed on my head.
A year previous on the same store i gouged my head from an open pipe on an old compressor but there was some tom foolery involved in that one :D

Moral of story - Where a hard hat at all times :D

hillbillywillie
12-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Had a few in my short but colourful career!
Working with another tech in a supermarket motor room, changing a compresser-he took out a metal plug without bleeding off the nitrogen charge and I'll be damned if that plug didn't skiff my right temple!
Another time, an apprentice working with me took out the oil screen plug on a compresser on a rack and covered us both in hot mineral oil.
Then there's the time the meat manager in a supermarket slipped in and turned the power back on to a set of compresser leads on a rack I was working
on-the resulting blinding flash and bang was a real trouser filler!
There are more..................like walking into a pitch black motor room and finding a 10 feet deep pit with no cover on it.....................

glenn1340
13-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Scariest thing to happen to me was during my apprenticeship on the railways. I was working in a pit under a running deisel loco when I heard the air brakes release and the loco move move off. I knew I was safe but the site of twelve wheels and 140 tons thundering 6" past my bonce affected the sales of laxatives in the local shop for a few days.