PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen for soldering

Peter_1
29-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Has anyone used a nitrogen generator instead of the compressed OFN bottles?
This technology uses membranes which extracts the O2 out of normal air so that the finally product is +/- 99,9 pure N2.
They use it also in ULO cold stores. I don't know if ULO is the correct name for controlled atmosphere wit very little O2 in the air ( +/- 2%)

Peter

Brian_UK
29-08-2004, 10:52 PM
I've just had a look at the technology on the web ( http://www.terrauniversal.com/products/gloveboxes/accessories_gbx/nitrogengenerator.shtml ) Peter and it does look interesting; however a couple of problems I can foresee....

The need for an air compressor to supply a pressurised air flow would require more equipment to carry about, plus an electrical demand. The upkeep of the generator e.g. filter, membranes etc.

The main problem I can see though is the cost, about $2000 for the smallest model with an $800 membrane. I think it will be cheaper and easier to use a bottle !!

botrous
30-12-2004, 05:55 PM
This is the first time i hear about that technology , but it seems to be interresting , i gonna do some researches to see what i can find

botrous
01-01-2005, 11:46 PM
As I understood http://www.terrauniversal.com/produ...generator.shtml when i visited this link posted by Brian that the N2 generators needs pressured air to function which make it difficult to use in field soldering such as reparing leaks or coils or compressor changes . I think that this generator will be effective in the factories , but something should be taken in consideration , which is cheaper to buy N2 or to generate it , the N2 generator needs electricity as well as the air compressor and in some countries the power is highly expensive such as in my country Lebanon :( , so I think that the usage of the N2 generator is related to many conditions such as the use of it , the place of use and the economic effectivness . . . . . .

Peter_1
02-01-2005, 09:12 AM
For repairs, it's indeed correct but when installing packs in supermarkets it's another story.

botrous
05-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Yes Peter , i agree with u , when installing in supermarkets , it is a huge project itself so the N2 generator may be very effective there and it might be effective when installing Acs for hotels and collectif buildings