PDA

View Full Version : Getting back to my trade.

chiller man
29-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Hello all
I am new to the forum but not to the refrigeration industry. I started from school back in1968 with Prestcold Central in Norwich. Got my city & Guilds and finished my apprenticeship and moved on to the dizzy hights of engineers wages. I have worked on just about everything during the thirty years I was in the Industry but changed direction in 1998 and done some property developing which worked out very well.Last year I got my lad involved in the industry with an apprenticeship with a local company and he cant get enough of it, and is doing rearlly well. My problem is this! Being an engineer myself I have been able to kick start his career by passing on thirty years of knowlage, only thing is, Im getting interested again and would like to get back in but when I left the game we used 12,22,and 502.I know nothing about the new gases or reclaim systems and gas handling certs keep coming up in job descriptions. Do I need to re-train on these items. Any input or advise would be a big help,Thankyou all.

lowcool
30-07-2009, 05:15 AM
start share trading,been told now is not a bad time to buy mind you that was last thursday

Gary
30-07-2009, 03:41 PM
You are going to need a new pressure/temperature chart. The new refrigerants have different pressures, but the saturation temperatures remain the same. The refrigeration cycle is still the refrigeration cycle.

And governments everywhere have taken all the fun out of the trade.

chiller man
30-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the feed back Gary, loved the comment ref govenmemts, Its so true,
cheers buddy.

paul_h
30-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Nothing much has changed, you just need to know a lot of electronics these days. PCBs control everything including the TX valve.

Besides that, refrigerants behave like refrigerants, only the names have changed. We still have compressors, condensers, evaporators and flow control devices. :D

chiller man
30-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for that Paul, you have confirmed my suspicions, regarding electonics, It was starting to kick off just as I came out in 99, I installed a lot of close control stuff in gas meetering building for Amoco UK, "Staffer control systems" they were a ruddy nightmere!

Thanks again Paul.

lowcool
31-07-2009, 04:10 AM
theirs also home brewing and wine making

lowcool
31-07-2009, 11:20 AM
better still why not retrain and start pre vocational courses for young ones or maybe join an institute that does.