PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump out

lmou
28-07-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm having problems with a 10 ton Carlisle 06D reciprocating semi herm compressor. With a half level in the oil sight glass, the comp starts and in seconds the level drops below the sight glass and after the 2 min td, the oil safety trips. During the off cycle the oil returns but a little less. There is oil in the discharge line. Is the oil blowing by worn piston rings? How is the oil making its way back to the crank case? How could liquid oil even leave a compressor? Oh, forgot to mention there is next to no oil pressure produced by the pump (new pump). Everything happens so fast. What (internal in compressor) could cause oil to leave so quick? Or is the oil staying somewhere in the compressor the whole time. Might be more than one issue here. The system is poorly designed and has piping issues which are causing bad oil return. I've installed an oil separator but it doesn't seem to bring the oil back fast enough. There is a sister system with the same set up that is working well. Possible that I'm going to recommend replacing the comprssor. Would just like some insight on what I'm seeing.

fixit
05-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Hello
Did you check if the sump heater is working on the compressor.

FIXIT

Tesla
06-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Hi Imou
Welcome to the forum.
Fist thing you have a computer so go to the carrier website and download the O6E/O6D carlyle compressor manual this will help you. Next you have another system to measure so do a time line on sheet of paper and write down press, temp, SH, SC, I etc of the good one and compare. For memory on these comps the liquidline valve is closed for about 30 seconds on startup to boil off excess refrigerant in sump and provide good oil pressure sooner. Does the comp have unloaders or HE heads (check with manual). Do the basics first - feel the drier dt and comp head dt, check TEV and coil temp gradiants with IR thermometer. You need the Carlyle Compressor Service Manual 020-611 with cover LOWRES from the Carrier website.