PDA

View Full Version : Car Paint Damage?

Ian_Eb
25-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Any ideas what may cause problems like this thread shows?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17277430

Seems a lot of damage to me. Just glad it isnt my car :)

chillyhamster
26-08-2004, 08:10 AM
Would hazard a guess that someone is just blaming the a/c system becouse the pipes are exposed, looking at the damage, this is not condensate water or condensation off of the pipework. But most likely, ground water leaching through the concrete structure picking up contaminants along the way. Hense the damage over a fairly spread area. If it was coming from an a/c they would either fix it or tray the pipework. Once again refrigeration gets the blame for someone else's poor construstion / installation. ;)

benncool
26-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Your guess is a good one chillyhamster.

Here is another thought. Do you folks use water cooled air conditioning equipment over there in England?

Here in some older large hotels it was common to use water cooled air conditioning equipment. The condenser water was reused by pumping it up to a cooling tower. The system that circulates this water tends to scale up. We would have to de-scale these systems using an acid solution. Of couse we were suppose to flush the system several times to make sure the acid was desolved. But you know how things can happen. So I was thinking that maybe they have a cooling tower nearby and some of the water made its way to the car's hood.

Did you ever hear of the Legionaire's Diease we had here about 20 years ago in Philidelphia. A group of conventionaires got sick at this particular hotel. They traced the cause of this diease to bacteria that grew in the standing water of the air conditioning cooling tower.

Due to the cost of water and of proper maintanence cooling towers are becoming a thing of the past.

(ps what are the "wings" --- fenders??? :) )

chemi-cool
26-08-2004, 03:34 PM
No way! This is not from an air conditioner.

it looks like some kind of acid and my guess is that it comes from the kitchen cleaning at night thruogh a leakibg pipe.
They use in kitchens powerful cleaning stuff.

Wings........... fenders' are parts of the bodywork of an English car.

Chemi

frank
26-08-2004, 08:10 PM
If it's a hotel air con unit it'll be ***** liquid, definatley not what you want dripping on your car!

Fantastic statement :D

bernard
26-08-2004, 08:16 PM
If the condensers were in the car park they would be choked up and require cleaning with something like hydrofoam which is acidic.Maybe drain piping from the drip trays were leaking this onto the cars.

regards

bernard ;)

Brian_UK
26-08-2004, 10:16 PM
(ps what are the "wings" --- fenders??? )Wings are the front and rear wheel arches, if that helps :confused:

I'd go along with the chemical clean idea, leaking drain piping above the cars or some vindictive little b*stards from the neighbourhood.

Latte
27-08-2004, 01:05 AM
Hi Guys,

Can't believe this has anything to do with the a/c. Even if the coils had been cleaned with hydofoam they would have had too been done minuits before the car got there otherewise the coil/ambient temps would have dried it out. Even so if this was the case i don't believe this was the case as acid cleaner should be flushed with water afterwards.

Can the owner prove the car wasn't like it BEFORE he parked it there. YES this might be sceptical, but it's been known in the past. My moneys on brake fluid been sprayed on the bonnet, Personally if i saw a peugeot i would do a proper job and sugar the petrol tank as well :eek:

Regards

Raymond

RogGoetsch
27-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Perhaps the evap coils were cleaned with something corrosive. They would drip to the outside whenever the unit was running.

More likely, though, it's because aliens (extra-terrestrials) with really caustic body vapors are staying in that room. The vapors are condensed by the evap coil and eat through everything they drip on.

All my equipment warranties carry a waiver for damage by extra-terrestrials, and you would be surprised how often it happens.

Rog

Blueboy
27-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Utter rubbish, :D