PDA

View Full Version : Compressor stays on for about 20 seconds

homer
25-08-2004, 01:14 PM
I live in the US and have an old Gibson side-by-side refrigerator. Yesterday was the first really hot day around here in a while and I noticed late last night that the temp in both the freezer and refrigerator was about 10 degrees higher than it should be.

I also noticed that the compressor was starting about every 5 - 10 minutes, runnning for about 20 -30 seconds, then shutting off. It was very hot to the touch. Also, I sometimes just heard a relay click, then a short hum, then nothing.

I looked at the tiny window in the timer and I could see the mechanism spinning. The fan that blows the hot air away from the compressor was moving kind of slow. About 15 minutes ago, the compressor started up again and is still on, so things seem better for the moment.

I don't know much about refigerators. I replaced the defrost timer in this one several years ago by just moving the wires from the old timer to the same connectors on the new one.

From what I have described above, does it sound like the compressor is failing, or could it be a timer or thermostat or something else? If I can fix it with an inexpensive part, I'd like to do that, but if it's the compressor, I guess I'll have to find room in the old budget for a new fridge.

Thanks for any insight and suggestions.

Homer

chillyhamster
25-08-2004, 02:17 PM
from your text, sounds like the condenser fan is not running at the correct speed to provide adiquate cooling, which is why the compressor is cutting out on klixion. Try spraying shaft of fan with WD40 or a light oil and get it to run at the correct speed or replace it and try again. ;)

chemi-cool
25-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Get a pro to do it and quick before you loose also the compressor.

Chemi