PDA

View Full Version : Coil Cleaning

Fett
28-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Hello

I have two seperate rooms. One is set at 45 Degrees F and the other is set for 70 Degrees F.

I have determined that it is time to clean the evaporator coils.

A regular spray bottle will not do as the spray does not penetrate deeper than the first two circuits of the evaporator. I know I can't pressure wash these because it will damage the fins.

What is a feasable way to clean large coils? Method of application/recommended cleaning agent?

The coils have six circuits and are 100% aluminum. R-22 is the refrigerant for both systems.

This will be the first time they have been cleaned.

Thanks!

-Fett

1mikeefc1
28-07-2009, 08:25 AM
use a spray bottle but use super clean it can be diluted accordingly to an evap or cond and will clear the coil.
once on leave it 5 mins and rinse of with water.

rude
28-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Buy a spray bottle that has a pump (pressure pack) and pump to you desired pressure and spray?

Fett
28-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Hey guys, I have been looking. Here is what I have found.

http://www.nucalgon.com/products/products_coil_cleaners.htm

wingman
28-07-2009, 11:18 PM
I use CarlyBIo for cleaning evaporators, I have bought a bottle that I can pressurize, like the ones they use in the garden.

Works perfectly :)

When cleaning a condenser coil I use Carly clean, or when the condensor is realy dirty I tend to use 1/3 of acti brite and water.

Fett
29-07-2009, 02:31 AM
I am going to get a hand pump sprayer and a 55 gallon drum of something. I have not decided on which coil cleaner to get. I have alot of coils to clean in this place.

acnerd
02-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Hello Fett. I was just looking at the products you have there, and the key is not to get a highly corrosive cleaner. Some solutions are very acidic or very basic. These may clean the fins off very well, but are in essence removing a very small amount of the aluminium itself. I read somewhere you can lose as much as 10% of fin thickness, depending on concentration of mixture. A good neutral cleaner that kills bacteria and removes dirt should be good enough.

Fett
04-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Hello Fett. I was just looking at the products you have there, and the key is not to get a highly corrosive cleaner. Some solutions are very acidic or very basic. These may clean the fins off very well, but are in essence removing a very small amount of the aluminium itself. I read somewhere you can lose as much as 10% of fin thickness, depending on concentration of mixture. A good neutral cleaner that kills bacteria and removes dirt should be good enough.

Yes Sir! I was thinking about getting the "Metal Safe" solution they have. There is nothing on these coils that will be difficult to remove. I figured if I get to cleaning them sooner than later then it will be easier to keep them clean.

Fett
04-08-2009, 12:36 AM
I know Acid will burn you and also Alkaline will burn you.

Question - Will Alkaline damage coils?

Magoo
04-08-2009, 02:26 AM
Hi Fett,
a trick I have found that works really well is to use a non acid /what ever coil cleaner, usual spray pump thing. Drown coil as usual, wait a few minutes and use a air duster gun to blow into coil, wait again and repeat several times. Then you know the cleaner is through coil section total. Rinse with lots of water, run and repeat rinse cycle several times to clear gunge, important to flush drains as well. Nothing worse than a clean coil and a blocked drain situation.

lowcool
04-08-2009, 05:28 AM
a lght brush over in the direction of the fins to remove lint etc before washing will save you time also

Fett
05-08-2009, 08:40 PM
a lght brush over in the direction of the fins to remove lint etc before washing will save you time also

These evaps are 20-30 feet in the air, not much lint up there. :D

wandowski
05-08-2009, 09:46 PM
superclean is the mutts nutts,just were gloves :D

lowcool
06-08-2009, 01:28 AM
gday fett
you could be surprised about whats up there.i prefer the good old garden hose its flushes drains well too-lots of water.i would be doing this as filling up sprayer all the time and its bulk can be a pain.to kill the nasties in the drain afterwards a good dose of diluted household jasol cleaner,its bio degradable,phosphate free non hazardous and comes in different smells

Fett
06-08-2009, 03:02 AM
gday fett
you could be surprised about whats up there.i prefer the good old garden hose its flushes drains well too-lots of water.i would be doing this as filling up sprayer all the time and its bulk can be a pain.to kill the nasties in the drain afterwards a good dose of diluted household jasol cleaner,its bio degradable,phosphate free non hazardous and comes in different smells

Jasol cleaner?? never heard of it

lowcool
06-08-2009, 05:49 AM
apologies fett
i new it was international but only to asia and new zealand it seems.its pretty well an all purpose cleaner not to thin and not gluggy cant really describe it in any other ways.use it for washing hands too

tonyhavcr
12-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Hello

I have two seperate rooms. One is set at 45 Degrees F and the other is set for 70 Degrees F.

I have determined that it is time to clean the evaporator coils.

A regular spray bottle will not do as the spray does not penetrate deeper than the first two circuits of the evaporator. I know I can't pressure wash these because it will damage the fins.
Thanks!

-Fett

Fett you can power wash it I have a power washer called coil scrubber uses little water with a wand that can bend 360 deg. it will not bendc fins
http://www.maxi-vac.com/coil_scrubber.htm
check out the Flexible Wand Assembly pules only 18 lbs. :)

Fett
14-08-2009, 01:05 AM
Fett you can power wash it I have a power washer called coil scrubber uses little water with a wand that can bend 360 deg. it will not bendc fins
http://www.maxi-vac.com/coil_scrubber.htm
check out the Flexible Wand Assembly pules only 18 lbs. :)
Man that thing looks expensive!

lowcool
16-08-2009, 01:03 AM
and dangerous,wonder what the ip rating is!!

tonyhavcr
16-08-2009, 04:10 PM
its not dangerous @ all, not sure why you think it it. We have one and use it all the the is made for coil cleaning only 250 psi. and it will not bend fins

As for the cost it was $450 us when I got mine complete.

Fett
19-08-2009, 07:29 PM
450 bucks hehe, I think my boss will just give me the birdie for that price.

bangoman
09-12-2009, 02:44 AM
Is it available nwer in Australia ?

lowcool
10-12-2009, 04:17 AM
anyone know its ip rating?