PDA

View Full Version : Getting More out of geothermal

Popper
26-07-2009, 07:07 PM
I have a question that has been vexing a number of my associates. If a compressor's refrigeration capacity in cooling is for instance 36,000 btu at maximum refrigerant mass flow, according to the manufacturer of the compressor, how is it possible that a geothermal heat pump's manufacturer has an output higher than that of the compressor, depending entering liquid temperature on the ground loop side.

The calculation of btu/hr most commonly used by manufacturers of forced air geothermal heat pumps is:

btu = delta T (across refrig air coil) x cfm x 1.08

Thanks to all who reply.

Gary
26-07-2009, 07:19 PM
The heat output of a condenser is the refrigeration capacity (heat absorbed in the evaporator) plus the heat of compression.

taz24
26-07-2009, 08:20 PM
I have a question that has been vexing a number of my associates. If a compressor's refrigeration capacity in cooling is for instance 36,000 btu at maximum refrigerant mass flow, according to the manufacturer of the compressor, how is it possible that a geothermal heat pump's manufacturer has an output higher than that of the compressor, depending entering liquid temperature on the ground loop side.

The calculation of btu/hr most commonly used by manufacturers of forced air geothermal heat pumps is:

btu = delta T (across refrig air coil) x cfm x 1.08

Thanks to all who reply.

When you talk about the duty of a refrigeration system, you are talking about the work done over the evaporator.

With a heat pump you are talking about the work output of the condenser, The out put is the input of the evap and the duty of the compressor.

Hope this helps.

taz.

Magoo
27-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Generally referred to as COP, coefficient of performance. Energy in verus energy out.