PDA

View Full Version : Trane Chiller Fault

dawfake
25-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi,

I have a Trane ECGAL500A Water Chiller giving a fault: 'A COM I/O 4'. The manual with the unit states that there is 'no communicatioon between the main module and I/O 4'. However, the unit is operating fine except that the remote alarm is acivated. Would appreciate it if anyone could :mad:shed some light on this?

slingblade
26-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Hi,

I have a Trane ECGAL500A Water Chiller giving a fault: 'A COM I/O 4'. The manual with the unit states that there is 'no communicatioon between the main module and I/O 4'. However, the unit is operating fine except that the remote alarm is acivated. Would appreciate it if anyone could :mad:shed some light on this?

Sorry no idea, however my advice would be to remove the alarm link. Trane will be happy to send you an engineer sometime within the next 2 months who earns 4 times the rest of us.
If it was me i would remove the entire control system (as i have done several times) and replace with dixell or carel. You and your customer will benifit in the long run.
This is not limited to trane. carrier, airedale and york have been subject to a full rip out and start again where their stupid baffling controllers have caused me problems.
If there is a BMS link there are systems you can use to integrate this.
Just my thoughts.

Duncanc
27-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Is it a carel controller rebadged as a trane controller? they had a known fault where the digital inputs were locking up and the software needed to be reloaded.

Lowrider
27-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Set D-01 to none and problem solved!

This one is for free, juststopswapping sound controllers on chillers. If you don't understand how something works doesn't make it a sh*t controller!!!!!!

goshen
28-07-2009, 07:44 PM
hi had the same problem do as lowrider said if this dosent help check all flatcable connections drop the main switch for 5 minutes it usualy works and if all else failes u wont have a choice but to reset the controller or replace it
be warned they are not cheap

slingblade
09-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Set D-01 to none and problem solved!

This one is for free, juststopswapping sound controllers on chillers. If you don't understand how something works doesn't make it a sh*t controller!!!!!!

I understand exactly how chiller control systems work. However when TRANE market their own and only their engineers can work on them, i prefer to save my customers time and money by removing said control systems and replacing with universal off the shelf control systems anyone can use.

Have you ever had a customer who has contacted you mid summer who has just been told by trane he will have to wait 2 weeks for an engineer to look at his chiller.

I have, and i threw his controller away and started again. Problem solved.

Do you fit splits boy?:D

Lowrider
09-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Here's Slingblades PM he posted!

Read and digest.

I have worked on a lot of plant in the last 20 years, and my family much more. Trane is not the master of the fridge trade. Please do not question me on this website as you will encounter my wrath. :rolleyes:Suggest you read what i post, take notes and shut your claptrap.:confused:

Savvy? mouse brain.:eek:

Annoyed

Slingblade.

So Slingblade, I hope you will not make a habbit of this, because you will not get loved on forums!

I could have toned my comment down a bit but didn't deserve this kind of comments!!!

slingblade
10-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Here's Slingblades PM he posted!

So Slingblade, I hope you will not make a habbit of this, because you will not get loved on forums!

I could have toned my comment down a bit but didn't deserve this kind of comments!!!

I will post as i see fit, loved or not. If you intend to sling mud at people then trust me it will be returned with favour. Good luck with the rest of your existence.

Number 2 on my ignore list.:mad::p

slingblade
16-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Posted on my personal homepage by Lowrider.

Slingblade,
Let's not fight! I do understand your view about Trane's response in some issues and it's true not all controllers are easy to understand. But from an economical point of view, if anyone can do it, there is no need for an expert, you have to agree on that at least. We both be out of a job if guys, normally doing the dishes at a restaurant, not that that is a bad thing, could understand our job.

So if I have offended you, which if I find hard with the remark I made, but could be taken that way, I apologies.

Apology accepted, you are now removed from my ignore list.
Keep up the good work, but i still think trane in the UK take advantage of paying customers. Why use complicated computer based nonsense when a mechanical 4 stage thermostat will do the same job.

Lowrider
16-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Posted on my personal homepage by Lowrider.

Slingblade,
Let's not fight! I do understand your view about Trane's response in some issues and it's true not all controllers are easy to understand. But from an economical point of view, if anyone can do it, there is no need for an expert, you have to agree on that at least. We both be out of a job if guys, normally doing the dishes at a restaurant, not that that is a bad thing, could understand our job.

So if I have offended you, which if I find hard with the remark I made, but could be taken that way, I apologies.

Apology accepted, you are now removed from my ignore list.
Keep up the good work, but i still think trane in the UK take advantage of paying customers. Why use complicated computer based nonsense when a mechanical 4 stage thermostat will do the same job.

As I have said on more than one occation, I don't know how the other Trane offices opperate. The one I work for doesn't let customers wait for two weeks!

A four stage thermostat will do the trick as well, but that is not what the customers want anymore! They all want stageless control from 0-100%. So that boat has sailed!
I now some engineers who can work on chillers with the electronic controllers but are at a loss on the older ones with 40 odd pages off control wiring and indeed a 4 stage thermostat!