PDA

View Full Version : scotsman mv600 fault

Colin G
23-07-2009, 06:46 PM
All i feel i do is ask questions about ice machines on here :eek:

Anyway heres the story hope someone can set me on the right track :)

Its a scotsman mv600 and its a solid light on bin full. Now i have been all over this unit and cant see how its possible for it to know when the ice bin is full, no sensors that i can see.

On initial start up it fills the water up and runs the compressor as it fills, on older models i remember the water was actually pumping round the ice cups before going onto refrigeration mode??
So it runs for around 10 seconds then returns to bin full warning.

Its got a full charge of 404a in there so shouldn't be tripping out on lp or hp unless switches are out of range.

Im starting to think the controller may be at fault, would like to see if any engineers who know these machines better than me can add anything before i make the hasty desicion of ordering a new pcb board.

Also can some one explain to me how the magnetic switch operated on these?

Colin G
23-07-2009, 06:58 PM
ok just found this and found some interesting information :)
http://www.doorgeestkoeltechniek.nl/download/MV20300-450-600-800-100020REV.2012-2004.pdf

The magnetic switch controls the switchin of the freezing cycle.

Colin G
23-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Bin full warning light = inoperative or faulty magnetic switch

looks like i might have solved it!

lowcool
24-07-2009, 12:43 AM
scotsman also used a limit switch on the water cover located top left hand side.

mcunliffe4
24-07-2009, 09:57 PM
there is a bin sensor on that machine, try taking side pannels off

lowcool
25-07-2009, 06:58 AM
the micro switch is a bin sensor as well.being that when cover is held open as in no more ice can fall,board times out quickly and led is lit.on one job found the cover was jamming against back of the machines front panel,customer thought he was the fonz,give it a whack and away it goes.

Colin G
25-07-2009, 05:21 PM
there is a bin sensor on that machine, try taking side pannels off

which panel as i have had side panels top panel and front panel off and traced all wires from controller?

Gary
25-07-2009, 06:02 PM
which panel as i have had side panels top panel and front panel off and traced all wires from controller?

There is no bin sensor.

Its all about the plastic deflector in front of the evaporator. If the deflector does not return to the closed position after the ice sheet drops, the magnetic switch does not start the next cycle and the machine thinks the bin is full.

Keep in mind that the deflector closes by gravity. If the machine is not level (leaning forward) gravity does not close the deflector. Make sure the machine is level, or maybe even leaning backwards slightly.

If the deflector is closing properly, clean the magnet surface. It must make solid contact to activate the magnetic switch. If all else fails, replace the switch.

Colin G
25-07-2009, 09:08 PM
There is no bin sensor.

Its all about the plastic deflector in front of the evaporator. If the deflector does not return to the closed position after the ice sheet drops, the magnetic switch does not start the next cycle and the machine thinks the bin is full.

Keep in mind that the deflector closes by gravity. If the machine is not level (leaning forward) gravity does not close the deflector. Make sure the machine is level, or maybe even leaning backwards slightly.

If the deflector is closing properly, clean the magnet surface. It must make solid contact to activate the magnetic switch. If all else fails, replace the switch.

i see, its all starting to make sense to me now :)
i have ordered a new switch so will try the above before replacing, thanks for that.

LRAC
26-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Before ordering a switch remove the ice flap and place a magnet on the switch and see if it cuts everything in, we use our solonoid lifting magnetic coils very handy for this sort of thing and we also use them on magnetic door switches.

mcunliffe4
26-07-2009, 09:33 AM
sorry mate thinking of a different cabinet, gary's rite check magnetic switch on curtain

1mikeefc1
28-07-2009, 12:14 PM
magnetic switch on the curtain definatley. this is used for bin full. dont like it much prefer a proper bin sensor/stat but hey technology moves on

Colin G
28-07-2009, 07:27 PM
i dont think there is a curtain, the cube cups sit vertically on this unit and the water runs down them, the magnetic switch is to the bottom left screwed onto the ice cube section, im heading back in there tomorrow so will have another looky see :)

1mikeefc1
30-07-2009, 07:03 PM
its more of a plastic panel than a curtain but it prevents water from entering the bin and is hinged at the top so it moves as the ice gets thicker once the sensor breaks the machine will go on harvest/defrost until the ice has dropped and the sensor remakes.

Colin G
30-07-2009, 09:25 PM
its more of a plastic panel than a curtain but it prevents water from entering the bin and is hinged at the top so it moves as the ice gets thicker once the sensor breaks the machine will go on harvest/defrost until the ice has dropped and the sensor remakes.

the ice thickness sensor? this is situated half way up the face of the evap and has 2 metal levers that push out with the ice?

lowcool
31-07-2009, 03:00 AM
ice bridge thickness sensors ive seen usually are mounted from top right hand from centre of evap and swings forward freely

Frikkie
31-07-2009, 11:43 PM
I have seen ice machines wher the small magnet in the cover has broken or fallen out. You can just stick another small magnet in the hole. Not very sure if this was a Scotsman problem or another make of machine.