PDA

View Full Version : Samsung RS21DCNS fridge freezer problem - please help!

Jo G
23-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi everyone.

I own a Samsung RS21DCNS, which is just over 2 years old. Last week it started turning the 'Power Freeze' function on and off on its own accord. It does this at random and may turn the function on and off several times in the space of a minute or may turn it on and leave it on for hours so the freezer temp has got as low as -33!

What is really annoying is that it has a two tone bleep when it turns on and again when it turns off, the noise can be heard everywhere in the house and it has woken me up in the middle of the night quite a few times.

Samsung sent an engineer to have a look and after 30 seconds he said it needs a new pcb. Unfortunately as it is 5 weeks outside of warranty it will cost £175 fitted!!

I wanted to see if you agree with the assessment I received or am unknowlingly being taken for a ride.

Also...as I am pretty handy I want to have a go at fixing it myself but can't seem to find where I can buy a pcb - any suggestions?

Please can you advise....

Thanks

Jo

lowcool
23-07-2009, 01:21 PM
maybe turn fridge off for a while and then turn back on.it might sort itself out,inevitably the board is failing,cant help with pricing though

happy
28-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Its pcb fault, could be front, rear or both!!

Contactor
28-07-2009, 11:33 PM
This will be switched in some way, this sounds like the switch is on the pcb. But if not, has anyone checked the switch?

Jo G
29-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Hi guys

Thanks for your replies and confirming the diagnosis.

We have tried re-setting the pcb and the old turn on/off trick but the failure is getting worse and the temp is fluctuating between -20C and -33C depending on how long the super freeze function stays. And the 'bleeping' is really affecting our sleep!!

I've been in touch with the retailer we bought it from and they are talking to Samsung about repairs...but I'm not too hopeful.

So do you think it's possible/ok for an untrained person to replace a pcb? If so any advice on where I can buy one and instructions?

Thanks

Jo

Contactor
29-07-2009, 10:57 PM
No. It is not possible or ok for an untrained person to replace the pcb or work on the equipment in any way, moreso when a fault is known.

I avoid domestic repairs like this, they are a total nuisance and barely viable.

chiller man
30-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I doubt you will get a pcb anyway, It will be local to samsung only.

madfriday
03-08-2009, 03:43 PM
I may be stateing the obvious - but could it be a 'stuck' button at the panel ? I have seen a few instances where cabinets have been banged in transit and the pcb has got out of alignment causing keys to 'jam'
Another problem they suffer is water ingress to the controls...
I would strip / inspect before buyin any costly parts.....
regards...
AH

344martin
08-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Refer to trading standards consumer law, "durability clause" (google it ). You have a right to expect that given the cost of the appliance, it should not experience a major component failure in such a short time and Samsung should repair f.o.c. The retailer is responsible for arranging this as your original contract is with them, not Samsung. A well-written letter to retailer should invoke a favourable response. Give them 7 days to respond in your favour or you will go to t. standards et.c.