PDA

View Full Version : Hot water hot pump

aucklander
23-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Hi all!

Would it be possible to get a split system (hi-wall or window type) and modify it for heating water?

I imagine you can replace the "indoor" coil with a plate heat exchanger (they tend to be really compact), but how do you "trick" the controls in thinking that you still heat a room? The thermostat will go only up to 26C (usually) which definetely is not enough for hot water. If it is a hi-wall system I use, you have to "trick" the outdoor unit into thinking it delivers refrigerant to the indoor unit, so all the controls have to be operational, otherwise any error will just turn the system off...

did anyone attempt to play with such idea? The hot water heat pumps are nearly double the price of a hi-wall system of the same power (checked for 6kW heating), simply because the market demand is not at the same level. The "mass production" really has a word to say in this! (I imagine the heat exchanger is cheaper than the indoor unit, and the controls are a bit easier to setup).

The system will generally work in summer only, as I have a "wet back" arrangement with the hot water cylinder and the wood burner to use in winter.

Gary
23-07-2009, 03:01 AM
You might find this thread interesting:

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19839

fixit
27-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi
I am trying to do just that at the moment with a 7.1Kw high wall Daikin, trying to change the readings from the temp probes with fixed resistors. not too sure what i will do about the fan motor ,

FIXIT

Magoo
29-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Hi Aucklander.
Depending on what water temps you want to acheive. Domestic hot water at +55'C would be pushing the odds with a split system ac compressor. A double walled plate heat exchanger is not cheap item either. Add and electronic temp controller a circulation pump.
So the products on the market are not so expensive when all is considered, plus they work and have a warranty as well.
Check "Hotwater Heat Pumps "in Henderson.

lowcool
30-07-2009, 05:12 AM
ahh our well meaning governments,end user always pays.