PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerant Cylinder Colour Code ???

Gentleman
21-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Hi people.

I know that different refrigerants have different colour codes for easy identification, however, I recently got this information and I would like to know if it is correct:

I was told that all service cylinders (refillable small cylinders of 12-13 ltrs) of the ususal refrigerant (R404A, R134a, R407C, R410A) should all be colour coded green and have a label with the refrigerant colour to identify it.

Is this correct? Are there any NEW regulations (particularly in European Union) for the colour identification of refillable refrigerant service cylinders?

Thanks,
Nicos Leonida

Gentleman
30-07-2009, 10:02 AM
No reply? Anyone?

wingman
30-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Nicos,

as far as I know there is no such thing yet.

It seems that gas manufacterers do not have a standard.

Dupont has white bottles for R407a and i have bottles that are colord brown and I have friocatch bottles with a grey security net around it all R407c
So that makes me want to believe that much depends on the producer of the gas.

However, I do remember when I started we used to paint the liquid lines in the color of the bottle

ae : Green = R22 , Orange = 404a etc. If anyone has more information about this, that would be awesome :)

Brian_UK
30-07-2009, 11:22 PM
If you want the full list of colours then see here....

http://www.environmental-expert.com/resultEachArticle.aspx?cid=3892&codi=4359&level=0

lowcool
31-07-2009, 03:50 AM
gday brian another good reason not to be colour blind in this job

Brian_UK
31-07-2009, 11:22 PM
The only time I found colours useful was when they stuck coloured labels on expansion valves.

Shibhrac
26-08-2009, 04:52 AM
According to ashrae and ansi standard Refillable refrigerant's cylinders must be colour coded and also having stamped the name of the refrigerant on the cylinder. This covers the ones which we used for recovering refrigerants. I do not think that any standarde will allow the same colour for differant refrigerants. The colour code for R407a is dark green and for R407c is white yellowsh. You should only get the refrigerant you want from licened and approved supplier