PDA

View Full Version : Transformer purchase

Rickspain
19-07-2009, 07:23 PM
I am having great difficulty taraking down suppliers of the transformers used in the head of air-conditioning units. They are nearly all the same, 12 or 15v output. The problem is the frame size. All the ones I can see on-line are 3va, 6va, 12va but the wrong physical size. I suspect they are all manufactured in china, but where do you buy them?
I live in Spain and have only been able to locate one source for a Fujitsu General unit costing more than 50 euros. In uk these are about £5, if only I could get the right size.
These fail regularly in Spain due to the supplies switching on/off rapidly blowing up the internal thermal fuse in the primary winding.

hyperion
19-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Have you tried RS Componenets?

Electrocoolman
19-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Another UK source is MAPLIN.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/

sedgy
19-07-2009, 08:35 PM
hi rickspain, I use mates who are comming over on holidays to bring over items like the ones you want, I know its a lot cheaper and the quality is much better

frank
19-07-2009, 08:36 PM
I have a contact for a company in the UK who will manufacture any transformer you want for a fee but I'm not able to post the link until after next week when I return from holiday

aircon50
22-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi Rick
As I'm sure you can imagine we have the same problems in Tenerife. We need to get our electronic ciruit design heads on, and design an over-voltage / surge protection device to fit in the supply line. Have even had two compressors fail on one house with known voltage problems! (but did not damage transformers). Any ideas give me a call. Also have a bit of gossip!!
Best Regards
Graham

airefresco
22-07-2009, 10:58 PM
A couple of years ago I got one from a TV repair shop. A tiny little shop in a backstreet. The transformer was a little bit bigger, but it still fit. Also RS is a good call, they have suppliers in mainland Spain.

Quality
23-07-2009, 10:01 AM
http://www.louthtransformers.co.uk/

Try this link they are based in the uk but will ship anywhere . I have used them for years and can recommend them very well

sinewave
23-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Yes, I too can vouch for Louth Transformers, their to the transformer world what Remco are to the Fan motor world!

:)