PDA

View Full Version : What's better genuine or non genuine spare parts?

willis123
19-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Just wondering what everyone's experience is in terms of the above. Is it worth paying the extra for genuine or are copy parts just as good?

Grizzly
19-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi willis.
Honest answer!
It depends on the quality of the non genuine parts.
Basically do you trust the origin of the parts supplied?
Secondly you have to remember that non OEM parts, could invalidate any warranty.
If it's an older machine then it may
pay to source filters etc direct from the manufacture, not through the equipment supplier.
How much success depends upon the amount of effort you put into outsourcing these components.

On newer machines I would always recommend using OEM.
On older ones it's your choice!
Remember "buyer beware!" though!
Grizzly
Grizzly

willis123
19-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks Grizzly - all sound advice I'd say.

Is it worth saving 10% on a switch that could lose you a load if it fails or equally would you want to spend twice the amount on a genuine reman compressor when you could be selling the unit in 6 months?

It's all a gamble I guess!

djbe
20-07-2009, 09:08 PM
I'd agree with Grizzly.

Remember some non genuine parts could be identical and from the same factory as genuine.

Others are copies and the quality is not up to scratch.

For instance you can get copy TK belts which are in no way close to the genuine in terms of quality.

I tried a copy Supra evap. fan motor once (made in china), fitted it and it ran backwards! Reversed the wire in the plug and away it went. Then after 6weeks it completely fell apart, had to fit a gen. one and cover the labour etc.

Personally I don't want or have the time to be having to mess around trying to get poor copy parts to fit and work properly.

I don't see the problem in using reman. compressors as long as you are using a trusted supplier who will back up their workmanship with a proper warranty. There are firms out there that only replace the bare minimum that they can get away with.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Good Luck!

SKOOBY
20-07-2009, 10:28 PM
We have sourced and used non dealer parts for possibly six years and we have not had many problems we source them from many manufacturers with a written warranty.A few years ago TK changed there supplier of flywheel bushes the outcome of that was horrendous we located a non genuine bush that lasted the course.
So dont be put off

1mikeefc1
24-07-2009, 04:18 PM
i would go with the right part for the right job whatever the cost it is good working practice in my opinion

US Iceman
24-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Hi willis.
Honest answer!
It depends on the quality of the non genuine parts.
Basically do you trust the origin of the parts supplied?
Secondly you have to remember that non OEM parts, could invalidate any warranty.
If it's an older machine then it may
pay to source filters etc direct from the manufacture, not through the equipment supplier.
How much success depends upon the amount of effort you put into outsourcing these components.

On newer machines I would always recommend using OEM.
On older ones it's your choice!
Remember "buyer beware!" though!
Grizzly

I agree with Grizzly. If the device is still under warranty, then use OEM parts. If the device is out of warranty, let the owner make up his own mind whether he/she wants to use non-OEM parts to save money. This is important later on if the replaced parts fail. Then it was the owners decision not yours.

You still have to explain the second failure, but at least you did not make the decision for someone else.

perthtech
03-03-2011, 01:00 PM
I know for a fact that carrier are now getting most of there parts made in china. gone are the days of quality parts....

djbe
03-03-2011, 01:48 PM
I know for a fact that carrier are now getting most of there parts made in china. gone are the days of quality parts....

With respect it depends on the supplier in china. As a big operation Carrier should (note I said should) be keeping a very close eye on quality to ensure their parts are manufactured to their standards. Remember their name in the industry rests on it.

The problem is there are a lot of unscrupulous companies in China that will copy a genuine part without the quality control. Then sell it in the aftermarket as suitable for use when it isn't.

Boss302
13-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I tried a copy Supra evap. fan motor once (made in china), fitted it and it ran backwards! Reversed the wire in the plug and away it went. Then after 6weeks it completely fell apart, had to fit a gen. one and cover the labour etc.

Unfortunately, That Chinese fan motor now appears to be the OEM motor:(

djbe
13-03-2011, 09:17 PM
No this was a copy of the Leroy Somer motor.

I know the one that you mean the latest Carrier one?
Haven't had much experience with them yet, I do know the old brushes don't fit in the new style motor though.

charlie patt
13-03-2011, 09:29 PM
with tk and carrier we always fit genuine parts where poss and belts is a must to fit genuine,other bits we fit a oem product unless stated by customer ie they are selling it, because if a part goes wrong you have to put it right at your cost and time the commercial sector you can fit most parts from the wholesalers as there is so much of it, like above comments carrier fans are expensive but usually last a long time or you do what some do and fit a spall and replace it again in 13 months

tony2009
13-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Guys; I'm in a position where I sell both genuine and aftermarket parts. I have customers who prefer one, the other or a mix depending on the part. In my years with Thermo King and as an independent, I personally wouldn't agree that genuine is ALWAYS better, but it is a benchmark. I have seen a number of parts where I believe that the quality of the aftermarket part is as good if not better than the genuine, however, having said that, rule of thumb is, if in doubt, fit genuine; it is the best minimum quality part you can fit. In other words, if you can be assured that the quality of the aftermarket part in that it is equal to or exceeds that of the genuine, then I don't have an issue, but if it doesn't or you have doubts, then use genuine.
With regard to parts manufactured in China; it's pretty much the norm these days; Thermo King have an increasing number of parts manufactured in China and Taiwan; places that in the past were known for lower than minimum quality parts are now manufacturing some really high quality items, so I personally believe that country of manufacture really doesn't mean a lot these days. I have genuine Thermo King bearings and con-rods that are "made in Taiwan", but if it wasn't marked on the box, they could just have easily been made anywhere else.
Best regards.....Tone