PDA

View Full Version : car a/c 'effed!!

rbartlett
11-08-2004, 06:20 PM
hi guy's

my mitzi chariot a/c has gone kaaput -
found it had blown the comp fuse (10a) tried a 15 (all i had) it went too...

looking further tonite fitted a 25 (again all i had) fault

clutch drags very slowly -1 rev 30 seconds
draws lots of current -ie 25a fuse HOT after 5 minutes running (I thought fridges were self fixing!!! :-/

turned off -
i could turn the inside of the pulley so i assume the comp isn't siezed -unless this is front part spins free till engaged (you tell me)

so is the clutch is 'gone' are they normally non servicable etc etc??

any idea's ??

any one want to change it?????

cheers

richard

chemi-cool
11-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Hi Richard.

No big deal realy but you will need special toolls.

You will have to take off the pulley and its bearings 60062Z if I remember correctly.

The coil is no problem to take off, just 4 little bolts.

Karl Hofmann should know how to check the resistance of the coil to check if it is all right.

You can either get a new coil at thecompressors agent or get it rewind.
I'm a bit too far to do it but get in touch with Karl, I'm sure he's got the parts.

Is it over 25C in the uk? :D

Good luck

Chemi :)

Karl Hofmann
11-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Chemi, dont be ridiculous, no one could possibly live in temperatures that high ;)

Richard, the resistance on the field winding should be about 4 Ohms. The clutch assembly can be removed from the compressor and be replaced, some types of compressor will need a clutch puller, some are simply held together with circlips. I'm not familiar with your car, what compressor is it fitted with? The centre cection of the compressor should turn freely with no tighy spots, the outer section should also be free and silent with no end float (Once the belt is off) Unless you are 100% sure that the compressor is good, I would have the original compressor rebuilt.

chemi-cool
11-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Thanks for helping me out here, Karl. :)

Chemi

rbartlett
11-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Chemi, dont be ridiculous, no one could possibly live in temperatures that high ;)

Richard, the resistance on the field winding should be about 4 Ohms. The clutch assembly can be removed from the compressor and be replaced, some types of compressor will need a clutch puller, some are simply held together with circlips. I'm not familiar with your car, what compressor is it fitted with? The centre cection of the compressor should turn freely with no tighy spots, the outer section should also be free and silent with no end float (Once the belt is off) Unless you are 100% sure that the compressor is good, I would have the original compressor rebuilt.

don't know the model of comp -it's really hard to get too..
i will post some pic's tomorrow..

however as i said it worked okay on monday afternoon on the way home but no good tuesday afternoon -i thought some water had shorted because of all the rain we've had..

the centre turned real easy

i got a resistance of 40 ohms (although it was drifting from 30-40 on my fluke..)

cheers

richard

Karl Hofmann
11-08-2004, 08:46 PM
The problem in the UK is finding parts for some imports, but a new coil and bearing shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless the compressor is an SD7V16, common as muck in the UK and used on many cars, but the clutches are only sold through main agents, it is almost as cheap to buy an entire compressor with clutch. I guess that Richards compressor is either a Sanden TRS 090 or a Denso of some description

frank
12-08-2004, 07:07 AM
found it had blown the comp fuse (10a) tried a 15 (all i had) it went too...

looking further tonite fitted a 25 (again all i had) fault

Just a couple of goes away from using silver foil and a six inch nail then :D :D

rbartlett
12-08-2004, 07:14 AM
Just a couple of goes away from using silver foil and a six inch nail then :D :D

yup and if a six inch nail would have fitted i wouldn't have bought the 25's!!

cheers

richard

rbartlett
20-08-2004, 05:49 PM
hi guy's

finally got the compressor off..

turns over v.nicely and the ports look clean as a whistle..did a 'pump test' by hand turning and holding my thumb over the suction -seems to be holding okay

however the clutch looks and smells badly burnt......

info for those who can point me in the right direction for repair/replacement

it is indeed a denso

10PA -15v
447200-0352
11P 0726

134a

on the clutch

11P
12V11P

any idea's on locating such a beast??

cheers

richard

chemi-cool
20-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Hi Richard

Get in touch with Karl Hofmann.
I'm sure he can help you or direct you the right place.

You better hurry, the summer is about to end :D

Chemi

rbartlett
21-08-2004, 07:55 AM
summers been a bit of a washout thanks to those americans sending over their spent hurricanes :-/

anway i sure hope someone knows the source of denso clutch spares ;-))

cheers

richard

Karl Hofmann
21-08-2004, 11:12 AM
If it is just the clutch coil gone then your local Hella a/c stockist should be able to supply you with hella part no CE10219, the hub disk (The bit on the front with the rubber shock pad) is part no CE10223. If it is the whole clutch that you after, you may be better speaking to Bob at Motorclimate in Birmingham Phone No 0121 7665006, they rebuild clutches and compressors, but he may have your parts sitting on his shelf

chemi-cool
21-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Hi Karl/

I just might start to charge you with the clients I get you :D

Chemi :)

rbartlett
21-08-2004, 06:33 PM
karl

how much is a cluch assembly roughly?

as i've been offered a complete s/h comp for 100 quid delivered

cheers

richard

Blueboy
21-08-2004, 07:09 PM
OH no

I selpt in !!!!" Did I miss the summer!!!! LOL @ Chemi It's August and the UK is having summer in September this year I hope :)

Karl Hofmann
22-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Richard,

Expect to pay about £70-80 +VAT for a new clutch assy, or around £150-200 from the main agent. I rarely only change the clutch, but normally replace the compressor too, nothing cheeses a customer off more than have them pay out for a new clutch, only for you to go back to then and say "Erm.. your compressor is kippered too" £100 for your compressor and clutch is about the going rate from a breakers yard, and provided that it is OK, then I would be inclined to go that way. Have a look at the lube in each compressor, it should be clear, or have a yellow/ green tint if there is UV dye in it, but never dark or metallic.

Chemi,

Thanks for the referral, I'll send you 20% of whatever Richard pays me :D

rbartlett
24-08-2004, 09:35 PM
well i phoned them as suggested and didn't get to speak to 'bob' but a kindly lady informed me that they don't sell just the clutches only complete re-con units so there..

therefore i went for the 100 quid s/h option ;-)

we await it's arrival

cheers

richard

Karl Hofmann
24-08-2004, 10:37 PM
I've had the same problem with a couple of V8 Range Rovers this week. They have very worn clutches from constant cycling, but the compressors are in good condition, I even checked the Land Rover parts list and they dont list the clutches either. Its a new compressor or nothing.Ho Hum. Do check that the clutch engages before you fit it and make sure that you top up the Lubricant. Should be PAG46

rbartlett
25-08-2004, 05:58 AM
thanks karl

i probably will take the clutch off the 'new' one and fit it to mine (if i can work out how they come off....)

cheers

richard