PDA

View Full Version : Copeland good for what?

coolseed
16-07-2009, 01:31 AM
Hi All
I hope you guys or girls may be able to help. We have bought a 2nd hand unit 1984 Copeland D9RC-1000-EWM-000 (7.5kW 3pH with matching evaporator Muller MHDE071 Fans 0.6/0.4kW and heater 5.25 KW) and a condensor about 1 sq m in size, and some padded pipework which is apparently some kind of adjustment choke system on it, put on an insulated 20ft (28 cum volume) container aftermarket.

We have been told it is a freezer and will be inefficient if choked, or would need another condensor ? added to it to run as a frig 2-4 degrees C (for packaged seed) so we would be better off (in terms of cost of power at 20c per kWhr ) to sell it and buy a single phase frig unit new to chill the container.

A different frig guy says he can get it to work as a frig on the container and thinks it will only run when it needs to (no modulation issues like a reefer) say for a couple of hours a day which would not be too expensive say $6 a day c.f. a standard reefer container which runs say 16 hours a day and cost about $30 per day to run. ($7,000-$11,000 a year more)

Also we want to build a 60sqm coolroom next summer.

Will this beast work reasonably cost effectively for either use on the container or the coolroom as a frig unit at +2 to4 C with only going in/out about once a day. (We know the more modern scroll condensors are more efficient but not by how much).

Hope you can help.

Cheers, Christine (damsel in frig distress!) :confused:

oldesky
16-07-2009, 02:12 AM
Hi All
I hope you guys or girls may be able to help. We have bought a 2nd hand unit 1984 Copeland D9RC-1000-EWM-000 (7.5kW 3pH with matching evaporator Muller MHDE071 Fans 0.6/0.4kW and heater 5.25 KW) and a condensor about 1 sq m in size, and some padded pipework which is apparently some kind of adjustment choke system on it, put on an insulated 20ft (28 cum volume) container aftermarket.

We have been told it is a freezer and will be inefficient if choked, or would need another condensor ? added to it to run as a frig 2-4 degrees C (for packaged seed) so we would be better off (in terms of cost of power at 20c per kWhr ) to sell it and buy a single phase frig unit new to chill the container.

A different frig guy says he can get it to work as a frig on the container and thinks it will only run when it needs to (no modulation issues like a reefer) say for a couple of hours a day which would not be too expensive say $6 a day c.f. a standard reefer container which runs say 16 hours a day and cost about $30 per day to run. ($7,000-$11,000 a year more)

Also we want to build a 60sqm coolroom next summer.

Will this beast work reasonably cost effectively for either use on the container or the coolroom as a frig unit at +2 to4 C with only going in/out about once a day. (We know the more modern scroll condensors are more efficient but not by how much).

Hope you can help.

Cheers, Christine (damsel in frig distress!) :confused:
Coolseed, you will require approx 6 k/w to do a standard medium temp insulated container with a light incoming load. The compressor is a medium temp compressor of approx 21 k/w.A 60 sq m coolroom on a light load will require approx 16 k/w. If you run a 21 k/w unit on a 6 k/w system it will short cycle, use a lot of power and probably burn out. It will be much more efficient (and environmentally responsible) to use a new smaller efficient unit designed on R134a, or a hydrocarbon if you can overcome the flammability issues, than to use an oversized compressor designed for CFCs and HCFCs. You may be able to utilise this compressor on the 60 sq m room depending on the design load, and retrofit to a newer refrigerant.

Robearoz
16-07-2009, 03:04 AM
Hi Coolseed,

I have fitted several systems to shipping containers for packaged seed storage and should point out that the storage temperatures were 12 to 14 deg C not the 2 to 3 you mention so my application may be different.

The systems I fitted were about 5kw at +10SST and from memory were way too big. If I did this again I would probably drop down to about 3.5kw. The containers had no solar load, opened once or twice a day but did experience high ambients - up to 43 deg C

The difference in running cost would be huge between something correctly sized and what you currently have - even the difference in evaporator fan running cost would be significant if this is a 24/7 operating room.

As a simple means of comparison the system I talk of here used a 1kw compressor compared to your proposed 7.5kw compressor (not a good way of comparing but it gets the point across).

Hope this helps

coolseed
16-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Hi There
Hey guys thanks a heap for your replies so far. :D I suspect you'll all say no way but could we outsmart the short cycle carry on by putting it on a 3 pH timeclock so it can only run for say 1/2 hour twice a day - we figure if kept closed it won't change temp in the container much anyway and we could monitor it and adjust for season anyway. The reefer container motors apparently can't handle this insult to their touchy electronics - but how about this beast?
Cheers, Christine :confused:

Goober
22-07-2009, 03:33 AM
Gut feeling is your trying to reinvent the wheel, second hand gear when bought for a room it's designed for can be a nightmare as it is, let alone what your trying to do....PM me if you want another opinion, happy to come and look if your in auckland...

coolseed
28-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Hi Goober
Not sure if my other message went thru to you or where it went. But if you could take a look it is in Pukekohe 021 2233973.
Cheers, Christine