PDA

View Full Version : New Girl to the HVAC world.....

Kylie
14-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi Folks, just thought I'd drop by and say hello :)

My name as you may have guessed is Kylie. I'm 28, living in Kent/London and I'm essentially the marketing manager for a leading HVAC hire company in the UK - not doing too badly in the other countries we operate within too!

I thought I may as well join; pointed in your direction by another member on here (CLK320_Greg), when I mentioned I wanted to learn the basics of the industry and find out what was what at a grass roots level.

Hope you don't mind me sticking around, and from time to time asking silly questions!

Cheers for now!
Kylie.

TRASH101
14-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Hello and welcome Kylie

I had heard rumours that women had joined the trade and here am I actually chatting to one.

I feel very humbled
:D

Gary
14-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Here's a thread to get you started:

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19701

US Iceman
14-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Welcome Kylie. I think it is good idea also. An informed headhunter helps his/her clients by being able to sort out the proper people for the required task.

Feel free to snoop around and ask questions. If you would like to post an ad you would need to discuss that with the boss of the RE forums (WebRam).

Brian_UK
14-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Yes, welcome to the forum Kylie, sit back and enjoy ;)

Peter_1
14-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Welcome Kylie from Belgium (just back from a visit to the busy London in the weekend)

Karl Hofmann
15-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Greetings, Spacekidette!.... For every daft question, we have an even dafter answer, so ask away:D

coolseed
15-07-2009, 12:52 AM
Hi There
I too am new to this site and can't find how or where to post a new starter thread - all this thread stuff reminds me of sewing -yuk. I know the admin guy said some things might be missing but where can I post a new question??? This is it below, I am getting desparate for some clarification about the monster Copeland we bought.
Hi
I hope you guys may be able to help. We have bought a 2nd hand unit 1984 Copeland D9RC-1000-EWM-000 (7.5kW 3pH with matching evaporator Muller MHDE071 Fans 0.6/0.4kW and heater 5.25 KW) and a condensor about 1 sq m in size, and some padded pipework which is apparently some kind of adjustment choke system on it, put on an insulated 20ft (28 cum volume) container aftermarket.

We have been told it is a freezer and will be inefficient if choked, or would need another condensor ? added to it to run as a frig 2-4 degrees C (for packaged seed) so we would be better off (in terms of cost of power at 20c per kWhr ) to sell it and buy a single phase frig unit new to chill the container.

A different frig guy says he can get it to work as a frig on the container and thinks it will only run when it needs to (no modulation issues like a standard reefer) say for a couple of hours a day which would not be too expensive say $6 a day c.f. a standard reefer container which runs say 16 hours a day and cost about $30 per day to run. ($7,000-$11,000 a year more)

Also we want to build a 60sqm coolroom next summer.

Will this beast work reasonably cost effectively for either use on the container or the coolroom as a frig unit at +2 to4 C with only going in/out about once a day. (We know the more modern scroll condensors are more efficient but not by how much).

Hope you can help.

Cheers, Christine (damsel in frig distress!) :confused:

Kylie
15-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Hello and welcome Kylie

I had heard rumours that women had joined the trade and here am I actually chatting to one.

I feel very humbled
:D

Lol.... I wouldn't feel humbled..... more along the lines of...

DOH!

Just doing some work for our website today, which entails me putting together a bit of a glossary of terms for Air Conditioning... I reckon I'm gonna be all clued up by the end of the day!

I won't be posting up any ads though US Iceman - not really much point in advertising to the experts - you all probably have it all anyway!

Thanks for the warm welcome anyhow!

Kylie
15-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Coolseed, go to the 'New to RE' forum; Underneath the notice to new members, there is a button that says 'New Thread', click that and you're on your way to getting a new thread of your very own ;) I wish I could help with your query - but I can't :(

Although I'm wondering if your question wouldn't be better posted in 'Refrigeration Divisions' > 'Commercial'?

I did try to post a link for you but I can't do that till I've got more than 15 posts - I'll be blown if I'm going to spam just to get there!

HTH a little bit though!

Clk320_Greg
15-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Coolseed, go to the 'New to RE' forum; Underneath the notice to new members, there is a button that says 'New Thread', click that and you're on your way to getting a new thread of your very own ;) I wish I could help with your query - but I can't :(

Although I'm wondering if your question wouldn't be better posted in 'Refrigeration Divisions' > 'Commercial'?

I did try to post a link for you but I can't do that till I've got more than 15 posts - I'll be blown if I'm going to spam just to get there!

HTH a little bit though!

Been here 2 days and your lawing down orders?!

Tut, women.

:D PSssssssssssst... You never sent that email throught with the links!

Sandro Baptista
16-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Misses Kylie and coolseed,

Welcome to our "little" refrigeration forums. :D

Best Regards

Baptista

Magoo
16-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Hi Kylie,
welcome to the house of horrors.

magoo

Kylie
16-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Been here 2 days and your lawing down orders?!

Tut, women.

:D PSssssssssssst... You never sent that email throught with the links!

Hush your face Gregory :p

I'll send it from home tonight - didn't think it was wise to come from the work email address ;)

Josip
16-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi, Kylie :)

welcome to RE forums ... be free and ask what you need ... we'll try to answer ..;) ... there is much less silly questions then answers... believe me..

Hi Folks, just thought I'd drop by and say hello :)

My name as you may have guessed is Kylie. I'm 28, living in Kent/London and I'm essentially the marketing manager for a leading HVAC hire company in the UK - not doing too badly in the other countries we operate within too!

I thought I may as well join; pointed in your direction by another member on here (CLK320_Greg), when I mentioned I wanted to learn the basics of the industry and find out what was what at a grass roots level.

Hope you don't mind me sticking around, and from time to time asking silly questions!

Cheers for now!
Kylie.

Best regards, Josip :)

superswill
20-07-2009, 11:24 PM
welcome to RE

chiller man
11-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Welcome KYLIE no worries, I worked offshore for 18 years as a contractor doing Refrig/ A/C and hvac. In the late eighties, Shell, introduced woman into the offshore arena, and most of em were streets ahead of the blokes, so good on ya!----------------- opps, sorry lads..................