PDA

View Full Version : Compressor/Motor alignment

NH3ISFORME
13-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Does anyone know of any information online or elsewhere
I could learn-up on motor alignment with dial indicators? Or maybe someone out there is well educated with this.

Grizzly
13-07-2009, 10:15 PM
I may have some info somewhere ?
I will check.
May I point out that you are already out of line.
1 post is enough (on the same subject)
Anymore is just greedy and not encouraged.
Grizzly

Brian_UK
13-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Have a read here....

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=SS6TUYqW4PkC&pg=PA216&lpg=PA216&dq=aligning+flange+faces&source=bl&ots=zepkPqMDpE&sig=Rx_Sxqbn5xus3oaJgzx8ckDTdTE&hl=en&ei=LKxbSvOfN9fKjAfa4Lwb&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4

Toosh
13-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Does anyone know of any information online or elsewhere
I could learn-up on motor alignment with dial indicators? Or maybe someone out there is well educated with this.

Hi NH, Try this

http://www.reliabilitydirect.com/alignmentproducts/Dial%20Indicator%20Procedure.htm :)

Regards Toosh

NH3ISFORME
13-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Sweet! Thanks Brian_UK.:)

Peter_1
14-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Don't post in different sections the same question

NH3ISFORME
25-07-2009, 05:19 AM
So we did hot alignments on 7 Frick TDSH RWB screws with dial indicators measuring both angular and parallel misalignments on the flange coupler.

Per a book I bought the author wrote that hot alignments are the worst way to align a compressor to the driver. He stated that when a hot alignment is done the compressor is now not running so other factors like the load conditions and movement of the screws with load on them and oil in the bearings while the screws are rotating are all factors that one cannot measure with hot alignment because the compressor is off. Are hot alignments truly an improper method? :confused:

RANGER1
25-07-2009, 05:58 AM
To me hot or cold is OK .
I don't know what Frick say but if you align it cold and get it right should be close when its hot anyway .

If you wanted to align it hot you would have to less 1 hour or otherwise its probably to late .

They have a flexible coupling , so you can have some misalignment .

I have come along to plenty and there way out and no one knew the difference ( in most situations ) .
Not to say its right but can happen .

Others will have a different opinion i'm sure .

NH3LVR
25-07-2009, 01:02 PM
I believe that checking the hot alignment on a screw (with the motor and compressor mounted on the oil separator) is more important than on a compressor with the equipment mounted on a steel frame.
With the oil separator heaters turned on there is more potential for movement.
That being said I have found the majority of the movement takes place as the oil separator comes up to temp, so there will be little difference between hot and warm.

guapo
25-07-2009, 01:53 PM
The best way is to practice. these are the things that you can not learn just to read the instruction.

Regards

Frickman
29-07-2009, 07:12 AM
The best way is to practice. these are the things that you can not learn just to read the instruction.

Regards
Frick says that you HAVE to do a hot alignment, if you dont your vibration data will be all jacked up. And it is true if you get your cold alignment close you should be able to do a hot alignmebt fairly quick. Generally lol on most frick screws beside the ones with d flang mounts you need to set them .004 high on veritcal, they tpically raise that much. on the d flange mounts they have a .017.