PDA

View Full Version : How did you get into this trade?

glenn1340
10-07-2009, 11:19 PM
I served my time on British Rail as a diesel loco fitter, then moved into the plant game (oh the joy of laying under a digger in the mud while the driver is moaning how you`re affecting his bonus) then moved into industrial air compressors.
As most compressors use refrigerated air dryers to remove the condensate I went on a few courses(safe handling, soldering etc) and learnt the basics of a fridge system. Then started to work on chillers.
My big break was when a company whose compressors we look after wanted all their cassettes and ceiling units removing and relocating, over one hundred, of them as the company was downsizing.
We spent the best part of a year in there not only on the air con work but fitting ducting and heating systems. That was a great project as we were left to get on with the job on our own deciding what units to put where and what materials to order.
From that job I`ve been asked to fit out three restaurants (pjs)and and have enough other work to seriously tempt me to go it on my own.