PDA

View Full Version : Draining R22

NikoG
07-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Hi, I have a Fujitsu condensor located at the rear of my domestic property. It works fine but not used very often. It sits in the way of a new conservatory soon to be built and needs to be either moved or removed. I am favouring removal as it hardly ever gets used. Can you advise on any precuations to take for removal of refrigerant/disconnection etc. I intend to leave the pipework/cabling in place (secured) for any future owner who may wish to re-install. Essentially I am looking to isolate electrics, disconnect pipework/cables and remove condensor, can I achieve? Any advice welcomed.

Argus
07-07-2009, 08:57 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I see that you are a householder, so please don't be tempted to do any of the work yourself.

You may want to re-use the unit later and extend the pipes. In this case it is possible (if the thing works) to pump all of the refrigerant into the unit and store it there so that it can be re-installed later. Any decent AC firm should be able to do this for you for a small fee. It only takes half an hour.

If you intend getting rid of it entirely, there are some other issues to consider.

Firstly the electrics; you are required now by law in the UK (Building Control Regulations) to have all the electrics that are to be amended done professionally. It's debatable whether you would fall under the small works exclusion in this respect. In any case you should get a certificate of work to cover both your insurance and the eventuality of selling at any time in the future, because you will be required to produce documentation by the buyers.

Secondly, the refrigerant that is removed will become Hazardous Waste as soon as it is removed and is covered by other regulations that are enforceable on both you, the owner and the removing company. R22 is no longer in use and it will need to be disposed of under the Hazardous Waste regulations. A reputable company should be able to do this for you and (essentially) give you the documents to prove it. Again, legally, you are not allowed to do the work yourself.

Moisture and dirt in these systems is critical. If the pipes are to be re-used at any time in the future, it is essential that they are properly capped and sealed at both ends - NOT just taped up with gaffer tape.

You may be able to find a single AC company that has the necessary electrical credentials, other wise it will be an electrician and an AC firm to do the work.

As you have already asked the right questions, it looks as if you are taking a responsible view of it all; there are plenty of cowboys out there - avoid 'em like the pox.

Good luck.

NikoG
07-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Argus,

Many thanks for the excellent advice, much appreciated. I will surely follow your wise words.

Argus
07-07-2009, 12:45 PM

Nick,

To give you the full picture about R22, it’s an ODS gas (ozone depleting substance0 like CFCs.
Currently, in the UK, it is under a controlled phase-out that is governed by law.

You can continue to use your kit – perfectly legally – but be aware:

New R22 gas will be unavailable for legal sale after the end of December 2009.

You may obtain and use reclaimed R22 for service until the end of December 2014. After that the equipment can continue in service but no more refrigerant can be added to it. There's no guarantee that it will be available or of the stability of the cost.

Any work that entails breaking into the gas circuit must, by law be carried out by technicians with the suitable qualifications.

There’s been plenty posted on gas on this forum over the years.

Good luck.

NikoG
07-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Argus,

Once again many thanks. The unit is probbaly 7-8 years old, works fine but does not reduce temp that much in the bedroom's. I have been quoted £300 to move it 6 feet (so as not to obstruct the conservatory). I guess we have used it 6 times in the 3 years we have lived at the house. As it only marginally reduces the temp, and it is only used rarely, I figured removal the best option. What do you consider to be a fair price to remove and dispose?
I live in Devizes (Wiltshire) if you are able to recommend an Engineer that would undertake for me.

Many thanks again.

monkey spanners
13-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi Niko,

I have sent you a message, if you are still looking for someone to decommision your ac give us a call.