PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion guys, please!

gordo_guero
06-07-2009, 11:39 PM
I am 31 and have been A/C Engineer now for 4 and a half years, starting back when a friend got me into a company as his 'mate' and have been (up until recently due to redundancy) installing jobs with a 'mate' under me for a good few months.
I have had no luck on the job front, I am thinking, due to my lack of A/C Qualifications.
:confused:
Now here's the question....
Do you think spending the money to get qualified (about £1600 for a 6 week course so I believe) is the way forwards or should I look at simply getting my safe handling and percivere with the jobhunting???
All replies greatly appreciated ...
:)

Tesla
07-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Hi gordo
If you can afford to do the course do it. I have been made redundant recienly too. There are about one tenth of jobs normally advertised in the past few months so Im not holding my breath. If you get qualifications you might consider subbing in the interum. Good luck

Yuri B.
07-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I would not give them up my 1600. Its a price of a good vac pump, or maybe a recover unit. You have experience, a grip on A/Cs. Become self-employed.

Bones74
07-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Any and all training is a must. A person that is always learning is a good employee that will always have a job with us.

Magoo
08-07-2009, 04:06 AM
If you are keen, well you have to start somewere. 1600 notes for 6 weeks is going to give the basics. You then start learning if some one gives you a job.
Hell I did a 9000 hour apprenticeship a hundred years ago, and still learning everyday.
If you can afford it do it.

icecube51
10-07-2009, 06:39 PM
good money whasted, the only course i took was evening school for two years,so then i could PROUVE i had some notice of refrigeration.everything else i learnd the hard way, whit ups and downs, books, collueges,E-net and so on. i am 52years young and still happy to learn from time to time. become a refrigeration engineer, and find yourself in a never ending story.

Ice

Davidy
16-07-2009, 05:28 AM
Hey, I've been in the field 23 years. Never did I ever dream I would make $41/hr in the states. Press on and keep working in the field. Take any and all classes and training you can afford, it will pay you back in spades. You will struggle at first. Once you make Journeyman, you will never regret it. I can get a job anywhere. When you get 10 to 15 years experience behind you, you just won't believe the kind of money you have. But it takes hard work, to whom much is given, much is expected. I encourage you to roll up your sleeves and work hard. It's a great field if you stick with it. You can even branch off to specialize in one of the various specialties like refrigeration, shock chambers, chillers, controls... Good luck and stick with it...

D.D.KORANNE
20-07-2009, 12:41 PM
learning never ends may be any field. i have come across people committing silly things even after several years of field experience. Hence a good basic course + field experience + willing to keep eyes/ears open can be a good idea to be in this field

eamonn493
21-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi Can you experienced A/C engineers help me. I have been called to a job which has lost all its 407c. I found the leak repaired it and pressure test all ok.
Now how do i check the oil is ok before charging the system?.ita a sealed rotary compressor no oil site glass?
Regrads Eamonn

icecube51
27-07-2009, 05:20 PM
you have to weld a separate valve on the HP side as close as possible to the comp.
i only do things like that if i have doubts about the amound or quality of the oil.
ice

BoilerBoy
28-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Get Papers!
You will never go hungry. In fact, you make it back hand over fist. :D

Magoo
28-07-2009, 07:14 AM
BoilerBoy.
Papers are worth a pinch of shyte with out experience. That is what the whole industry is suffering from. Geeks with a long set of qulaification papers, and no experience.

BoilerBoy
28-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I concure. Here in Canada, you can't get a job without papers. Kinda makes it hard to get that hands on experience if you can't work. I will never tell someone that seeking knowledge is a form of folly. I'm pretty sure that is why this forum is here. Then again, I'm new. New to the forum. Been at this awhile. Wouldn't you know it? I learn stuff everyday. That is one of the best things about this field.:)

chiller man
30-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Providing you found the only leak and no large oil blow was found around it, its safe to assume the oil charge is still within the confines of the system.( having said that, do you know any service history of past service calls). When you charge, use an amp meter, and watch the running current,It should climb slowly as compressor load goes up.Keep listening to the compressor note, any sudden change in noise or a rapid increase in running current will indicate the pot is starting to seize. so be ready with the lock stop button. good luck.

chiller man
30-07-2009, 05:26 PM
There is no easy way to check,If you did not find to much oil around the leak you could assume the oil is still in the system. Charge with an amp meter. listen for sudden compressor noise change. and a sharp rise in running current,if this happens its going to seize so be ready with the lockstop button, good luck.

hd88
06-08-2009, 01:44 AM
chiller man. you have killed a lot of compressors havent you. HAHAHa

chiller man
06-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Not at all old chap when your as good as me you can take short cuts, but never mind, you may just get the hang of it ------ one day! Its called Knowlage. Im suprised, your as old as me. Remember, there are enginners and ENGINEERS! -------Sleep well.