PDA

View Full Version : Whirlpool american style fridge freezer not freezing problems

mandiz
06-07-2009, 06:54 PM
I have bought a second hand Whirlpool Frbb2vaf20 American Fridge freezer (side by side)& have no warranty. I am having problems with the freezer. It doesn't seem to want to freeze. It won't hold it's temperature. The alarm goes off & It flashes -- on the display & it then states -18. It does this prob every 8 hours. It doesn't freeze anything, I have got a therometer in the freezer & the highest it states is -12, but then the alarm goes off & flashing -- again etc. However it does produce the ice cubes, which I can not understand. I thought it may of been that the kitchen is too warm, so I have turned the radiater off & it still happens. tHIS HAPPENS ABOUT 8 TIMES EVERY DAY. I have had this problem since we purchased it 6 months ago. Can anyone help? As I don't want to be charged £80 service charge with Whirlpool.

tonto33
06-07-2009, 08:29 PM
were bouts u located?

mandiz
06-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Wakefield, West Yorkshire

paul_h
07-07-2009, 01:35 PM
whirlpool have some major manufacturing defects on their PCBs.
I don't know your model, but go have a look at uk whitegoods website for a huge thread regarding their PCB malfunctions

mandiz
08-07-2009, 09:41 AM
I was advised from ukwhitegoods.co.uk website to remove the bottom rear panel to locate the condenser cooling fan. When located the compressor was too hot to touch & the fan wasn't spinning, so I swirled it & it has kept on going & the compressor & the centre front panel between the doors has cooled. This has seemed to cure my freezing problems & for the 1st time in months my icepack at the bottom of the freezer has frozen solid.

I'm going to leave it a day or two before I start putting my food back in the freezer, so fingers crossed!!

Any more probs I will let you all know.

Yuri B.
08-07-2009, 04:32 PM
But you have not cured the problem, which you probably located: the fan will not start on its own soon again (with its either weared out bearings, or dead capacitor, or smt else).

mandiz
08-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Yuri,
Yes, you were right. It has lasted approx 20 hours & it is back to the original problems. So I have now ordered 4 capacitors & hopefully this will cure it!!!

I will keep you informed.