PDA

View Full Version : 48yrs and still craving to learn

edilob
06-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi there,
I have a question, but first let me tell you this, im new to this forum so bare with me, Im self employed have been for the last 6yrs. previously i was a paramedic for 19yrs, I left to run my parents business as they retired and they wanted to keep the business within the family, Now my wife runs the business and im left twidiling my fingers. So i feel i need a new chalange, And therefore came up with the idea of training and hopefully working in the refrigeration field.
Ive read on the forum that realy to learn this trade the best way is to be tacken on by a employer who can teach you this skill with hands on training and a course, To gain city and guilds qualification.
So my question is there anybody out there, To give me a chance and teach me, or is there no hope for me in this trade. thanks for reading.

abet_meneses
06-07-2009, 03:56 PM
edilob,

Familiar phrase in this forum "You"ll never too old to learn".At 49,plenty of time to learn,and to explore the trade.Good luck.

edilob
06-07-2009, 04:18 PM
thankyou for that, thats much appreciated.

Gary
06-07-2009, 04:51 PM
You might want to start here:

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19701

edilob
06-07-2009, 08:28 PM
very very good nicely put i hope the rest is as easy to learn somehow i dont think so. thankyou for that, ive now purchased a book so its time for me to do some studying. i hope that someone now out there might be able to give me the oppertunity to train me. thankyou again.nick

paul_h
07-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Best of luck, but what is it you want to do?
Do you wanting to be carrying compressors, climbing ladders and crawling through ceilings? Sometimes carrying compressors up ladders and motors through ceilings!
Starting from the bottom is not an older gents game, most of us start there when we're young and want to be out of it before we're 40 y/o.
You're better off studying engineeering at uni, getting some quals and then becoming a designer or consultant.
Of course you won't get much pracitcal experience if you are never "on the tools", so you may never be a huge authority, but getting that far is what many of us younger plebs aspire to be eventually anyway after we have got sick of lifting heavy stuff up ladders.
I'm not trying to turn you off the industry or 'put you down', I'm just saying that it's not a comfortable workplace for beginners, and if you;re older, go for the formal education route rather thean the apprentice on the tools route.

edilob
08-07-2009, 09:05 PM
hi my friend,
thankyou for the advice, how can i put it without trying to be funny im 48yrs true. oh this is a little difficult to answer without me being up my own arse. for the last 6yrs ive been carrying and fitting fireplaces all over,and prior to that for the last 19yrs as a paramedic carring bodys from high rised buildings r.t.a and many other difficult situations, so no really i dont want to be stuck in a office so lets get dirty if you know what i mean. but thankyou for your advice.

rude
09-07-2009, 01:45 PM
hi my friend,
thankyou for the advice, how can i put it without trying to be funny im 48yrs true. oh this is a little difficult to answer without me being up my own arse. for the last 6yrs ive been carrying and fitting fireplaces all over,and prior to that for the last 19yrs as a paramedic carring bodys from high rised buildings r.t.a and many other difficult situations, so no really i dont want to be stuck in a office so lets get dirty if you know what i mean. but thankyou for your advice.
good on you! im half your age and am already sick of it haha

paul_h
09-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Yep, good on you. If that's what you want to do, then go for it, apologies if I seemed condescending. Like rude posted, most of us guys who started younger are already sick of the heavy labour side of the job before we're 30.
However it doesn't seem like you are fazed by that aspect of the job, so go for it.

lowcool
10-07-2009, 01:01 AM
yep i could think of better things to do,but im still here.get a skippers certificate and drive greg norman around i say.