PDA

View Full Version : Service contracts

iceman007
22-07-2004, 07:36 PM
The one area of my business which has lagged a little behind since I started is service and maintenance contracts. I've had no problems on the ones which I've installed, but have not secured the amount I would have liked from existing installations. I've done well on medium and smaller installations, but would like to secure a few bigger jobs. Most of what I refer to is air conditioning. Refrigeration install jobs have dropped into place a little easier, but I would really like a couple of ammonia sites (I am qualified on NH3-if anyone is interested).

I wondered if anyone else has similar stories or any ideas if they wouldn't mind sharing them, because I want to look at going form 2 to 5 engineers in the next 12-18 months.

Best Wishes
James

dan wong
22-08-2004, 07:37 PM
Hire a marketing individual specialize to sell service contract rather than doing it your self. they may not know how a machine work - but they can sell benifit of a service contract.

chemi-cool
22-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Hi James.

Good to see all is well.
I would not do what Dan suggests.

You will have to set the appointments and you will have to explain and answer questions, show the owners the problems they have or going to have.

No one will do it better then you. Its always a good chance to see what situation the equipment is in.

I always come in person. People appreciate it when the "Boss" comes and sending a salesman.

medium to small jobs is where the money is. Its faster, less expenses and you can do more a day.

Refrigeration is basicly better cause its all year round.
AC at your wheathter, is for a short time. try to grab a few jobs for the summer.

I just finnished installing 5 split units, 18 KW each with ducts all in one week, left enough to cover half new van.

Just dont grow too quick. Calculate cerfuly each new tech.

Best of luck.

Chemi :)

dan wong
22-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Hi James.

Good to see all is well.
I would not do what Dan suggests.

You will have to set the appointments and you will have to explain and answer questions, show the owners the problems they have or going to have.

No one will do it better then you. Its always a good chance to see what situation the equipment is in.

I always come in person. People appreciate it when the "Boss" comes and sending a salesman.

medium to small jobs is where the money is. Its faster, less expenses and you can do more a day.

Refrigeration is basicly better cause its all year round.
AC at your wheathter, is for a short time. try to grab a few jobs for the summer.

I just finnished installing 5 split units, 18 KW each with ducts all in one week, left enough to cover half new van.

Just dont grow too quick. Calculate cerfuly each new tech.

Best of luck.

With due respect. Look at some of your more successfull compititor, I bet they have a marketing department. I've seen this happen many time. "Engineer make poor saleman, Saleman make poor engineer." Let the sale professional do their magic -SELL, let the engineer do their magic - Design & repair.

chillyhamster
22-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Just make sure that the service and maintenance department can deliver what the salesman sells. If the client wants a four hour response and the salesman agree's, the service side had better perform. ;)

iceman007
23-08-2004, 12:54 AM
Hi Chemi

All's very well at the moment, the only problem being the wife as we're so busy at the moment I hardly see her or the children. That's why I haven't been very active on the forum lately. I will send you an e-mail in the next few days or so when I have time to put thoughts to computer.

Thanks for the advice to you all.

James

chemi-cool
23-08-2004, 04:12 AM
Hi Dan.

Nothing personal,

I never have time to check on my competitors,
They are checking on me!

I make a pretty good salesman and good service is not something I would leave to someone else to sell for me.

Chemi

dan wong
23-08-2004, 08:49 AM
I didn't take it as personal. I look at it as two different people with different view.

I agreed with your sentiment "I make a pretty good salesman and good service is not something I would leave to someone else to sell for me."

Twenty four years ago, I started my company in Sale. I also think of my self as pretty good saleman. But I also recognize I am no match against a professonal saleman. Think of it like this; a medical doctor trying to sell medical insurance - because healing the sick is not somthing he would leave to someone else. My thought... "Let the doctor heal the sick people, engineer heal the sick machine, let the sale professional - sell."

I am writing this in tone of conversation, not a snipe.

chemi-cool
23-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Hi Dan.
I took your point.

As a "one man show" for the past 25 years.
I am also have to function as a salesman. I keep in the van tons of cards and also papers with list of big known customers + telephones No.
Yes I want people to check on me after I leave. they become my best salesman!

I am not selling a product and so is James.
We sell service. Its a lot more, there are people behind it, big difference.

At the end of every year, I send Thank you cards to all those who have paid me.

I never pass a customer place without getting in and just say hi and ask if all is well. They sure do appreciate it.

The history shows that my system works fine and sometime, even too well.