PDA

View Full Version : frascold compressor fault

chillyblue
30-06-2009, 08:04 PM
anybody got any ideas

I have a frascold semi-hermetic compressor model 06VM306A badged as a Carrier compressor which was running pulling low amps, not pumping etc, etc.

Stripped it down to find pistons, valves, crank and conrods all fine.
Then found that i could spin the rotor around the crank shaft, so some how the rotor has come ditached from the crankshaft, i assume some sort of pin or key way must have broken.
I haven't managed to pull the rotor out yet cause i don't know how to and didn't want to force it .

Any help please.

CB

NoNickName
30-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Unscrew the bolt and remove it along with the washer/plate.
Pull the rotor by hand or helping yourself with a plier. As easy as that.
Or, more simply, just return it for replacement against a green Carrier badged or unbadged, genuine Frascold.
Contact me via email at Frascold's customer care.

chillyblue
30-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks mate, do you think a pin is broke then. Why is the rotor spinning with the crankshaft

CB

taz24
01-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Thanks mate, do you think a pin is broke then. Why is the rotor spinning with the crankshaft

CB

The crank will have a slot ground along it and the rotor has a matching slot init. When fitted together and in line they form a channel that a key (square bar about 2 inch long) is inserted to hold the two together.
It is possible for this key to sheer but the force excerted to it to do so must have been huge.

A new key can be obtained and inserted as described in the post above.

Somthing caused it to fail though so you need to give it a good check before rebuilding.

Cheers taz.

NoNickName
01-07-2009, 01:53 PM
I think it didn't break. Either it slipped out from the groove, or some idiotic moron just forgot to put it in.
Funny enough, as the compressors are tested in nitrogen, the rotor has got enough shear to the shaft to pass the test run even if the key is not in the slot.

chillyblue
01-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks

I think it didn't break. Either it slipped out from the groove, or some idiotic moron just forgot to put it in.
Funny enough, as the compressors are tested in nitrogen, the rotor has got enough shear to the shaft to pass the test run even if the key is not in the slot.

this has run for years, i think the oil seperator float (no sol valve in return line to comp sump) has stuck open and gas has condensed in the compressor causing it to hydralic on start up (the client runs it for a periods and then leaves it switched off for long periods)

I did take the back end bolt/washer out but couldn't pull the rotor out, i wasn't to force full in pulling it because i wasn't sure if there was anything else holding it in. perhaps i should be more forcefull:rolleyes:????????

CB

NoNickName
01-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Ok, that means the key was there.

No, there's nothing else holding it, unless it seized on the shaft. But if so, how is it that you can spin it around, but it doesn't come off?

chillyblue
01-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Ok, that means the key was there.

No, there's nothing else holding it, unless it seized on the shaft. But if so, how is it that you can spin it around, but it doesn't come off?

It must be on a bearing or something because it is running totally smooth and totally free even if spun by hand it rotates without any effort.

CB

NoNickName
02-07-2009, 02:29 PM
No, it's not on a bearing. I am from the manufacturer.

chillyblue
02-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Is there a service manual that explains the strip down you could send me??

Also how do you remove the pistons/ conrods etc.

Cheers for your help

CB

NoNickName
02-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Please contact me off forum

taz24
02-07-2009, 11:01 PM
It must be on a bearing or something because it is running totally smooth and totally free even if spun by hand it rotates without any effort.

CB

I bet you will find the crank has sheared just after the main bearing.
That is why the rotor rotates without any effort.
The crank will be held in place only by the front bearing.

Needs a strip down to confirm but it looks like it needs another comp.

taz.

chillyblue
02-07-2009, 11:56 PM
I bet you will find the crank has sheared just after the main bearing.
That is why the rotor rotates without any effort.
The crank will be held in place only by the front bearing.

Needs a strip down to confirm but it looks like it needs another comp.

taz.

Can't be because i have took out the bolt at the motor end of the crank and had to hold the crank at the piston end, so the cranks not sheared.
it's wierd because i can turn the crank from both ends, all the piston and con rods are fine.
To me it just seems as though the rotor is a sleeve around the crankshaft but without any connection to the shaft.

CB

Magoo
03-07-2009, 03:21 AM
Probably worn a step in shaft, so you are trying to pull against the step. Could be difficult to lift evenly and pull off at the same time.
Hell send it back as a warranty claim.
magoo

NoNickName
03-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Probably worn a step in shaft, so you are trying to pull against the step. Could be difficult to lift evenly and pull off at the same time.
Hell send it back as a warranty claim.
magoo

He could, although it looks like it ran for years.