PDA

View Full Version : Draining Oil Pots.

theapprentice
29-06-2009, 04:44 AM
When I drained oil pots today I noticed there was quite alot of difference between the colour of the oil coming out of each. For example one was really white and fluffy while another was the opposite really dark and thick. Why is there such a difference in the oil colour coming out and what causes it.

Thanks for your replys in advance.
Chris.

US Iceman
29-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Did one stink more than the other?

You may have had more ammonia in the one with the foam. Did the foam disappear after a while and look like a regular oil drain sample?

taz24
29-06-2009, 07:03 PM
When I drained oil pots today I noticed there was quite alot of difference between the colour of the oil coming out of each. For example one was really white and fluffy while another was the opposite really dark and thick. Why is there such a difference in the oil colour coming out and what causes it.

Thanks for your replys in advance.
Chris.

The fluffy white one still had refrigerant absorbed init and you will have taken it out under pressure.

The oil when allowed to stand for a few hours will turn back to a liquid and look similar to the other oil.

taz.

Frank Day
29-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Are you draining from different temperature systems ?

Like - 10 deg C & - 30 deg C

theapprentice
29-06-2009, 09:47 PM
no its 4 large screw packages all with the same evap temp. yeah that would make sense with ammonia still in the oil. thanks very much.