PDA

View Full Version : air well ac

thebigcheese
28-06-2009, 04:21 PM
got a call to ac unit. found air on indoor 26c air of 9.1 but only cooling on 2 sides rather than all 4.
air on condenser 21c air off 33c

put gauges on suction 35psi head 200 psi r407c

i suspected system short of gas. recovered 3.7kg should have been 3.8kg so nothing major with the gas.

checked strainer on inlet to evap and it seemed ok.

pressure tested and vaced out. only left for 30mins vac as it seemed to pull a good vac and i was busy

weighed in new gas and ran system

same problems as before low suction 35 to 40psi head pressure 200psi and indoor unit only cooling on 2 sides.

so im wondering is this moisture rectriction or are my scales broken although have used them all week and theve been fine.

any help would be great as this is a cash job and i have to pass this shop everyday on the way home so im going to be tourtured.
thanks.

Gary
28-06-2009, 04:40 PM
only cooling on 2 sides rather than all 4.

What does that mean?

thebigcheese
28-06-2009, 04:41 PM
the cassette unit is only blowing cold from 2 sides rather than the four

Gary
28-06-2009, 04:48 PM
the cassette unit is only blowing cold from 2 sides rather than the four

Sounds like an air flow problem to me.

thebigcheese
28-06-2009, 04:56 PM
no deffo not air flow. the coil is clear and plenty of air comming through it

The Viking
28-06-2009, 05:02 PM
I know that Airwell used to have some strange coil arrangements.
Is it one continuos coil that's been bent around (as in a Daikin or Toshiba for example) or is there 4 individual coils?

Is it two sides 90 degrees to each-other that cools or are they opposite each-other?

thebigcheese
28-06-2009, 05:06 PM
to be totally honest i dont no about the coil shape because i havent had the fascia off.

its the closest to the inlet pipes that are cooling

so you have the first side cooling then 90 to that the next kinda cools then 90 and 90 again arent

The Viking
28-06-2009, 05:33 PM
i havent had the fascia off

So how do you know that the coil is clear???

marc5180
28-06-2009, 05:39 PM
to be totally honest i dont no about the coil shape because i havent had the fascia off.

its the closest to the inlet pipes that are cooling

so you have the first side cooling then 90 to that the next kinda cools then 90 and 90 again arent

I would strip the indoor unit down to have a closer inspection at the coil. By doing this you can usually tell what the problem is, wether it be a faulty LEV, dirty coil or blockage in the suction.

I had a fault like this a few months back and it turned out to be a partial blockage on the strainer in the evap outlet. Did you also check the evap outlet?

Gary
28-06-2009, 05:44 PM
no deffo not air flow. the coil is clear and plenty of air comming through it

Yes... it is definitely an airflow problem.

thebigcheese
28-06-2009, 05:45 PM
i have had the filter section out and check the coil from here which is spotless, the airflow from the unit is great and can be felt from ground level.

as for the strainer i am only aware of there being 1 as this is fitted during installation

marc5180
28-06-2009, 06:00 PM
On some type of casettes they have mesh strainers inside the flare nuts to stop stuff getting in the coil.

thebigcheese
28-06-2009, 06:03 PM
yea thats wat this is like only it has a flare conection on one end a flare nut on the other but its clear

The Viking
28-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Depending on how the maintenance been done...

We took a sit over last year where several units had these type of problem.
The coils looked spotless until the fascias and drip-trays came off, the previous mob had clearly brushed the inside face of the coil but they were blocked solid between the fins. Some of the units even had plants growing in their drip-trays.
None of which could be spotted with the fascias still on.
(That was in an area where they had some 4 metric tonnes of paper going through each day, 7 days a week)

thebigcheese
28-06-2009, 06:24 PM
i honestly dont think its an airflow problem but i will drop the fascia tomorrow to be 100% sure

thebigcheese
29-06-2009, 07:46 PM
all sorted went to move a bottle of 407c in the van and thought thats very light for a new bottle. turns out it was leaking........ recovered full charge from system vaced out and charged with a diff bottle hey presto

thanks for the help anyhow