PDA

View Full Version : Renault AC compressor

Peter_1
16-07-2004, 12:04 PM
In a recent folder of Renault cars, they say that their newest models like the Espace have in their AC system a variable piston compressor which is electronicaly controlled.

What is this exactly?

Question for Karl perhaps?

Reeferjon
16-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Yeh I'd like to know that one as well, my Peug has one on the climate control package to.

chemi-cool
16-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Hi Peter, Jon.

I want to give it a try.

Most car AC compressors have 5 to 7 pistons, a plate, behind the pistons located in an angle and when it turns, the pistons move forward and backward.

In hydraulic high pressure oil pumps, used in agriculture ( Tractors) the working principal is almost the same, apart from the angle of the plate which is variable controlled by the pressure, i.e. when there is no need for high pressure, the plate is almost 90 deg. to the shaft and when high pressure is needed, the plate changes the angle and the piston volume gets bigger.

I will dare and say that this is the case here.

I also would like to hear Karl's prognosis on the subject.

The link will show you how these pumps work with variable displacement.

http://www.parker.com/pumpmotor/cat/english/1553a003.pdf

Chemi

Karl Hofmann
16-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Chemi got it in one! If the compressor number has a "V" in it then it is variable, Sanden SD7V16, or Harrison/Delphi V5 etc

Stuff like Skoda Fabias and the baby Mercs have a compressor that runs constantly, even when switched off. A valve controlled by the ECU adjusts the refrigerant flow and either directs it to the TXV or simply circulates it round the compressor. If the compressor should fail, then there is still a shear mechanism on the belt pully, so at least it will still get you home

chemi-cool
16-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks Karl.

Those gray cells still move. ;)
Chemi

Karl Hofmann
16-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks Karl.

Those gray cells still move. ;)
Chemi

LOL those little grey cells need lubrication though...You have earned yourself a pint :D