PDA

View Full Version : drains

dunny123
27-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi can someone tell me the best way to clear supermarket case drains.We have nothing but problems at a big name supermarket,what is the best way to clear the drains,without a recall 3week later.

taz24
27-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Hi can someone tell me the best way to clear supermarket case drains.We have nothing but problems at a big name supermarket,what is the best way to clear the drains,without a recall 3week later.

Mains drains
or case drains on the shop floor?

If it is main drains the you need special drainage people with their high powered water jets and camera's.

If it is case drains then there are a few ways I have found successful.

First is a industrial wet and dry vacuum cleaner,
Block all but one drain points with wet rags and vac out the drains. Moving from case to case.

The other is one of those fan air blowers.
Agian block all the drains and then blow high pressure air down the drains, moving from case to case.

Another is to split the drains on the floor and vac - flush with water. The hoter the water the better.

Lastly use sulphuric acid that will clean any drain. Unfortunatly it is banned in most suppermarkets because it is too dangerous and if mixed with other chemicals produce toxic fumes that will close the store:o

Cheers taz.

dunny123
28-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks taz.
I ment case drains,so there is no quick fix to this.I mean for a supermarket to empty all there cases to gain acsess to to block to other drains will have to be aranged,and carnt be done on a normal service call?am i right?

taz24
29-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Thanks taz.
I ment case drains,so there is no quick fix to this.I mean for a supermarket to empty all there cases to gain acsess to to block to other drains will have to be aranged,and carnt be done on a normal service call?am i right?

For most drains in most supermarkets you can only access them in 2 places.
One is where the come out of the case and the other is where they go into the floor.

So yes in short you have to empty the cases and do it from inside.

If the case fitters / plumbers did a good job they may have put access points in the drains so you can get to them from under the case, but they are still hard to get to and you still end up with lots of water on the floor.

Quickest and best way I found is scalding hot, soapy water from a watering can straight down the drain and hope the heat loosens the slime and washes it away.

Cheers taz.

FreezerGeezer
30-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Block all but one of the drains, as everyone has said. Cut the depressor fitting off an old guage hose (You'll be amazed at the difference in flow rate!).
Connect the other to your Nitro bottle via the regulator, and purge the drain with a few bar of OFN.
If you can access the drain close to the end (or at least where your responsibility for it ends ;) ) then you can use a venturi effect with OFN to create a vacuum in 'your' section of pipe. I find this often works better than 'pushing' the blockage.

In the case of the base of the cabinet being frozen over, then hot water applied to the drain entry is the way to go.

Hope that & Taz's answers have helped. :)

coolhibby1875
30-06-2009, 06:19 PM
if its sainsburys you are having the problem in join the club...
the best thing is to block up all outlets except the 2 furthest from each other put a aqua vac down one open drain whilst you use a plunger at the other you will be amazed how quick this will clear it. works every time.

gindog20
06-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Taz is spot on, block all drains and suck with wet vac directly into main drain. Major pain in the ass the engineers who sck from one case and walk away.

Dieppert
13-07-2009, 05:21 AM
sounds like some you do things the hard way, if you have 1 case plugged up in a line up, get a Co2 bottle, with reg, use a old ref hose and place it into the drain, wrap a wrag around it, and give it a short blast, will unplugg the drain 99.9 percent of the time, , just make sure the floor drain is free flowing to take what leaves the case

panda
13-07-2009, 10:59 PM
If its the main drain from the cases to the store outlet thats blocked fire it back to the end user as in most cases these are never touched or maintained.Most of the big drainage companies like Dyno Rod,Drainrite etc cant believe the crap they expect us as engineers to clear due to poor in house maintenance standards excepted by all the end users in the UK.

bernard
16-07-2009, 07:25 PM
It always surprises me that supermarkets have not addressed the problems of bad drainaged. After refits the top brass attend site for snagging however they never get down on there knees to inspect the drains.Dodgy offcuts of 1 1/4 holding up the drain run,poor flow which encourages jelly build up.