PDA

View Full Version : chestfreezer

stoopidquestion
25-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Can any one tell me why on some upright chest freezers is the liquid line piped a round the doorframe

lowcool
25-06-2009, 01:48 PM
upright chest freezer it is not,but you can open the door

1mikeefc1
25-06-2009, 05:17 PM
it is used instead of a wired door heater!

sedgy
25-06-2009, 07:13 PM
its to help stop the door freezing , so you can open it,

stoopidquestion
25-06-2009, 07:54 PM
sweewt cheers guys :D

Peter_1
25-06-2009, 08:13 PM
upright chest freezer it is not,but you can open the door

It is on most households to avoid sweating/condensation and the energy for it is free

frank
25-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Upright Chest Freezer.

Something of an Oxymoron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxymoron) me thinks.

ICE/RUNNER
25-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Using the liquid line as a door heater is farily common. I work on offshore freezes where we run the discharge line around the door fram before it enters the condensor, this is done as there are no suitable explosine proof door heater avliable.

taz24
26-06-2009, 12:23 AM
Don't belive them :p:p

Its to scare the living daylights out of you when you drill into it to fit a padlock:eek:

taz

lowcool
26-06-2009, 02:20 AM
gday ice runner that must be an absolute pain,in the apprentice days on kelvi domestics and fridges were economically repairable,the mullion was made from bundy tubing and would rust out,or had a hole drilled through it,we used to blow string through it after cutting it out from the system then pull a heater wire through.youd think in this day and age they would have a suitable conduit or the like to do something similar.

ICE/RUNNER
01-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi
lowcool

Its pretty good, never had a problem with it in 15 years, lost count on the number of door heater tapes that have fialed on non explosion proof units. Most failed due the the range of voltages we operate at 360 to 580 50/60 Hz.

ice/runner

Temprite
02-07-2009, 02:03 PM
gday ice runner that must be an absolute pain,in the apprentice days on kelvi domestics and fridges were economically repairable,the mullion was made from bundy tubing and would rust out,or had a hole drilled through it,we used to blow string through it after cutting it out from the system then pull a heater wire through.youd think in this day and age they would have a suitable conduit or the like to do something similar.

I have heard of people doing this, but never did it myself. I would imagine it would be a real pain in the arse to do. How exactly did you do it?

lowcool
05-07-2009, 01:52 AM
get a piece of 1/4" pipe say 12" long,file a vee shaped nick in the pipe in the middle so string can pass through smoothly,fix end to mullion pipe with nylon hose with veed end pointing away from mullion,apply compressed air at the end and feed in string,movement of air rattles the string through the mullion circuit,tie heater wire to end of string and pull through very gently.