PDA

View Full Version : 1930 s cellar cooler

nick uk
21-06-2009, 02:31 PM
A few years ago i was installing AC in a pub i arrived the day after the builders labourer had cut through a 2 inch diameter shaft with an angle grinder releasing an unidentified gas the building and surounding areas were evacuated an the fire brigade were callled out

the shaft had a tangential fan mounted on each end and was belt driven one end was cellar air the other was outside air i belive it was a centrifugal form of refrigeration made sometime in the 1930s just wondered if anyone could shed some light on it thanks nick

icecube51
21-06-2009, 04:39 PM
so where was the gas comming from ???

you just discribed a form of ventilation system that runs during the night,an cool dawn the space via shafts, a kind of motorised free cooling system. now a days the do the same but whit tube's 25 mtr down under,to create the same cooling or pre-heating effect,the temperatuur is nearly always the same at a dept of min. 25 mtr,around 10C°.

Ice

nick uk
22-06-2009, 11:44 PM
my description was not very good it was basically a condensor and evaporator mounted on a spinning shaft i belive the compression was created by centrifugal force ie the condensor and evaporator spun i hope this gives a cleare picture thanks nick

icecube51
23-06-2009, 03:38 PM
so this is one of the urley NH³ installs, whitch also functions like an absorbtion system???

Ice

nick uk
23-06-2009, 11:05 PM
i dont think it was an absorbtion system it was a rotating condensor and evaporator i think centrifugal force created compression there where no rotating seals it was all self contained on the one shaft

lowcool
24-06-2009, 02:41 AM
remember seeing something like that at trade school,two balls spinning,creating pressure drop,one got cold the other warmed up,i think was one of the first refrigeration practises.might have a look at wikepedia later on

Magoo
24-06-2009, 03:12 AM
sounds like a methyol chloride or else a sulphur dioxide system, do not know about spinning balls, but sounds painfull.[ hell could be a goveror on a weird what ever extract system ]
If smelly NH3 or sulphur dioxide, non smelly but leathal possibly methyol chloride. Could always be just a weird type exhaust fan as cellars were at ambient.
Who would ever know. magoo

nick uk
24-06-2009, 08:21 PM
it was definately a refrigeration system with a nasty refrigerant i gather quite a large area was evacuated

sterl
01-07-2009, 01:25 AM
http://www.refresearch.com/Museum/Audiffren/tabid/651/Default.aspx

Audiffen Machine maybe?

nick uk
02-07-2009, 10:21 PM
perfect match Sterl it was identical to your link thanks very much been bugging me for a while as to what it was