PDA

View Full Version : Storage conditions for spices

Satyajit Sen
20-06-2009, 05:46 AM
Dear Sirs,

I would be grateful if the members of the forum could kindly assist me in my venture into the world of Refrigeration. My father Mr Samarjit Sen who sadly passed away last year was an active member of this group.

I am currently looking for opinions on the optimum storage conditions for spices, viz. red chilli, turmeric etc. The storage life has to be extended to a period of 9-10 months. I look forward to the opinions and suggestions of the members in this regard.

Warm regards,

Satyajit

chemi-cool
20-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Hello Satyajit.
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about your question but I suggest that you make a good search in Google.

You can start here:
http://www.actahort.org/books/253/253_9.htm

http://books.google.co.il/books?id=Aqp3cw8qvg8C&pg=PT83&lpg=PT83&dq=Storage+conditions+for+spices&source=bl&ots=m7aXowwsMw&sig=un5nrJqM3fP6uovBLISHuU7fk7Q&hl=iw&ei=Aoc8SpOtNo2RjAfr5sAC&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9

Good luck to you.

paddy
21-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Dried spices and herbs do not need any special storage , however fresh chillies and other similar product are usually kept at 3-5 degrees and 80% humidity

Peter_1
21-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Satyajit,

Perhaps strange to put it his way, but I'm anyhow happy you joined us because I can tell you finally that all the Mods and many RE-members had and still have a deep respect for your father.
He was such a big appreciated contributor to this site.
I've send you a fax begin May 2008, did you get it?

One Mod wrote the following quote about your dad: He struck me as a very Indian, British orientated gentleman, passive, learned and generous in wanting to share his knowledge and promote our work.
This description is a perfect description how we all saw him.

Now, your question, I only can give you what I've found while Googling
http://www.theepicentre.com/tip/spicetips.html

NH3LVR
21-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Satyajit,
I would like to welcome you to the Forum.
As Peter_1 said your Father was a valued contributor to this group, He is missed.
It is always pleasant to see the Son follow in his Father's footsteps

Satyajit Sen
22-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Dear Peter & NH3,

My heartfelt gratitude for your wishes. It would be an honour for me to be able to live up to my father's name. I also look uo to all of you for providing support to me in my search for knowledge.

Dear Peter: I had received your fax last year at the time of my father's demise. We as a family were deeply touched by the wishes and thoughts that you shared.

I thank you all for the inputs that you have provided for spice storage. Will get back if I require any further assistance :-).

Regards,

Satyajit

D.D.KORANNE
23-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Welcome , satyajit to the forum

Josip
01-07-2009, 02:42 PM
:) Dear Satyajit,

welcome to RE forums..

I'm still remembering your dear father and my dear friend Samarjit. We spent only a couple of hours together in Mombai, where he came to visit me, during my stay there, but we exchanged a lot of words and thoughts here on RE forums and privately.

What to say, except maybe:
It is always pleasant to see the Son follow in his Father's footsteps

Best regards, Josip :)

Satyajit Sen
06-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Dear Josip,

I do remember my father talking about you and Mike a lot. He was always looking forward to interacting with the members. He mentioned his meeting with you at mumbai to me :-).

I will look forward to receiving advice and directions from the members of this forum.

Warm regards,

Satyajit