PDA

View Full Version : whirlpool k40 not taking in water?

kb2
19-06-2009, 08:35 AM
hello everyone.

i am hoping someone out there with a bit more experience of ice makers might be able to help.

trying to repair a k40 ice machine, that had burnt its cutting grid out, no problem replacing the grid, but noticed when i was running it, the reservoir was empty and it was not filling up when switched on?

first throught was the water valve servo, so replaced this too.
still nothing?

just to make sure pump was working correctly i filled reservoir manually.
pump appears to be working, its spraying water evenly across the plates that form the ice.
refrigeration unit is kicking in, grid is now working, everything from what i can see is working correctly, apart from fact it is not taking in water?

i am now thinking maybe there is a sensor or something i am missing? something that tells the water valve to open? i assume something must tell it when its full and to close?
just cannot work out what from the wiring diagram

any help is appreciated
many thanks in advance

k

BigAl
19-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Suspect the ice thickness t/stat...Should energise the hot gas valve and also the inlet valve to refill.

kb2
19-06-2009, 09:06 AM
thank you very much for the quick response.
didnt realise the thickness stat also initiated inlet valve... the clue should have been in the wiring i guess DOH!

ill focus my attention in that direction, and at worse i can pick up a new one of those fairly cheap

cheers again

coolhibby1875
19-06-2009, 10:27 PM
hi it will be the inlet valve its self as if the stat is switching and going on defrost then it shares the same switch as the hot gas valve so the inlet valve must be choked or u/s you will get 1 for less than a tenner from any shop that sells washing machines

Slatts
20-06-2009, 07:41 AM
according to the somewhat less than helpful manual, (Get it here (http://www.whirlpoolk40.com/#/home/4531731977)) it may be that the hot gas valve coil is open circuit. Don't ask me why, I haven't seen a wiring diagram.

kb2
22-06-2009, 08:32 PM
thanks guys

i have already replace inlet value, so think its unlikely i have 2 faulty ones... although possible i guess.

cheers for link to service manual, very useful. ive got a new stat on route, only cost £15 so not much lost... unless of course i never work out what issue is. :|

dunny123
23-06-2009, 10:03 PM
It prob isnt the stat mate.Turn the ice thickness stat right round till you feel it click,then the water will start flowing in.wait untill the water starts coming out of the drain,then turn your stat back to mid size ice{about half way} and bobs your uncle,all set up.let me know how you get on bud.

kb2
25-06-2009, 06:23 PM
your right wasnt stat

it was turned all the way to right, but as knob missing didnt realise.. rookie mistake.

prob was issue with inlet valve initially, but when stopped working the bar manager had twidled with all of the knobs.
so even tho i replaced it, still wasnt taking in water
Hhe also turned the temprature one to winter in a warm room so combination of that, no water and the little swing arm inside being stuck the grid burnt out

all working now and have ice a plenty

many thanks for advice everyone :tup: